PDA

View Full Version : 'Historic' deal reached on cutting ozone threats

BigJon3475
23-09-2007, 11:42 PM
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j7N5blwO1yStElwsdN3BVyb-Zm_g

"Nearly 200 countries have agreed to accelerate the elimination of chemicals that threaten the ozone and exacerbate global warming, the United Nations Environmental Program announced Saturday.

The deal moves forward both production freeze targets and complete phase out of HCFCs, which originally became popular with manufacturers as a substitute for more dangerous chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) formally popular as industrial coolants.
In the agreement developing countries agreed to freeze HCFC production and consumption of the chemicals in 2013 rather than 2016. They will totally phase out production by 2030.
Developed countries are committed to reducing HCFC consumption by 75 percent in 2010, and completely phase out consumption and production by 2020."

Question is how will this affect you? Will you not be affected at all? Will you have to change your way of thinking and start pushing more HFC's? Have you already been pushing HFC's?

This is going to affect me in a pretty large way. This is a big step forward but a step that I expected. It's been a very large growing trend to go green so this was expected at least by me. The US should have been pushing more information into the market and giving them an idea this would be a possibility. I read about it in a hidden article on the net from the EPA a week ago. Other than that I really hadn't heard anything about the possibility of the deadline moving up ten years. That article from the EPA was over a year ago.

taz24
23-09-2007, 11:51 PM
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j7N5blwO1yStElwsdN3BVyb-Zm_g

This is going to affect me in a pretty large way. This is a big step forward but a step that I expected. It's been a very large growing trend to go green so this was expected at least by me. The US should have been pushing more information into the market and giving them an idea this would be a possibility. I read about it in a hidden article on the net from the EPA a week ago. Other than that I really hadn't heard anything about the possibility of the deadline moving up ten years.

It won't affect us at all.
We've already signed up to the Montreal protocol and then at kyoto.
The EU speeded up the phase out times for Europe.

taz.