PDA

View Full Version : Might be going to Mauritania...

Tycho
21-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Anyone know anything about this place?

Went to the Doc to get a shot for yellow fever (required for entry into the country) and they gave me four more shots for some other stuff they said I needed + a prescription for malaria pills...

seems a bit over the top, but what do I know :)

so... anyone?

Abe
21-09-2007, 09:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/country_profiles/791083.stm

http://www.arab.net/mauritainia/

http://www.africaguide.com/country/mauritan/

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/country/168/country_guide/Africa/Mauritania.html

http://www.al-bab.com/arab/countries/mauritania.htm

Abe
21-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Anyone know anything about this place?

Went to the Doc to get a shot for yellow fever (required for entry into the country) and they gave me four more shots for some other stuff they said I needed + a prescription for malaria pills...

seems a bit over the top, but what do I know :)

so... anyone?

I think the shots you need are:

Typhoid
Cholera
Meningitus
Hepatitus

Malaria Pills of course

Abe
21-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Mauritania (Africa)

* Immunisations
* Malaria
* Malaria Map

Advice for All Destinations

The risks to health whilst travelling will vary between individuals and many issues need to be taken into account, e.g. activities abroad, length of stay and general health of the traveller. It is recommended that you consult with your General Practitioner or Practice Nurse who will assess your particular health risks before recommending vaccines and /or antimalarial tablets. This is also a good opportunity to discuss important travel health issues including safe food and water, accidents, sun exposure and insect bites. Many of the problems experienced by travellers cannot be prevented by vaccinations and other preventive measures need to be taken.

Ensure you are fully insured for medical emergencies including repatriation. The 'T7' leaflet (from Post Offices) gives details of health care agreements between countries and is accompanied by an application form for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The completed form must submitted about 6 weeks before you plan to leave to allow the card to reach you on time. The EHIC entitles travellers to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment in most European countries.

For Travel Safety Advice you should visit the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
Immunisations

* Confirm primary courses and boosters are up to date as recommended for life in Britain - including vaccines given to special groups because of risk exposure or complications (e.g. hepatitis B for health care workers, influenza and pneumococcal vaccines for the elderly).
* Courses or boosters usually advised: yellow fever; diphtheria; tetanus; poliomyelitis; typhoid; hepatitis A.
* Vaccines sometimes advised: tuberculosis; meningococcal meningitis; hepatitis B; rabies; cholera.
* Yellow fever certificate is required from all travellers over 1 year old except those arriving from an area without risk of yellow fever transmission and staying less than 2 weeks.

Notes on the diseases mentioned above

* Tetanus is contracted through dirty cuts and scratches and poliomyelitis spread through contaminated food and water. They are serious infections of the nervous system.
* Typhoid and hepatitis A are spread through contaminated food and water. Typhoid causes septicaemia and hepatitis A causes liver inflammation and jaundice. In risk areas you should be immunised if good hygiene is impossible.
* Cholera is spread through contaminated water and food. More common during floods and rainy seasons. Those unable to take effective precautions, for example, during wars and when working in refugee camps or slums may consider vaccination.
* Tuberculosis is most commonly transmitted via droplet infection. Those going to countries where it is common, especially those mixing closely with the local population and those at occupational risk, e.g. health care workers, should ensure that they have previously been immunised. Check with your doctor or nurse.
* Meningococcal meningitis and diphtheria are also spread by droplet infection through close personal contact. Vaccination is advised if close contact with locals in risk areas is likely.
* Yellow fever is spread by mosquito bites. It is uncommon in tourist areas but can cause serious, often fatal illness so most people visiting risk areas are immunised.
* Hepatitis B is spread through infected blood, contaminated needles and sexual intercourse, It affects the liver, causes jaundice and occasionally liver failure. Those visiting high risk areas for long periods or at social or occupational risk should be immunised.
* Rabies is spread through bites or licks on broken skin from an infected animal. It is always fatal. Vaccination is advised for those going to risk areas that will be remote from a reliable source of vaccine. Even when pre-exposure vaccines have been received urgent medical advice should be sought after any animal bite.

Malaria

Malaria is a serious and sometimes fatal disease transmitted by mosquitoes. You cannot be vaccinated against malaria.
Malaria precautions

* Malaria precautions are essential. Risk is present throughout the year in the whole country except in northern areas. The risk increases during and after the rainy season (July-October) (go to Malaria Map).
* Avoid mosquito bites by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using insect repellents on exposed skin and, when necessary, sleeping under a mosquito net.
* Check with your doctor or nurse about suitable antimalarial tablets.
* Atovaquone/proguanil OR doxycycline OR mefloquine is advised for risks areas.
* If you have been travelling in a malarious area and develop a fever seek medical attention promptly. Remember malaria can develop even up to one year after exposure.
* If travelling to high risk malarious areas, remote from medical facilities, carrying emergency malaria standby treatment may be considered.

Abe
21-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Dont say I didnt warn you !!!
:D

Brian_UK
21-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Don't forget, most jabs are to allow you to return to your own country - they don't care what you catch out there, just don't bring it back ;)

Argus
22-09-2007, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure if you can get pills for kidnapping which is on the increase in some parts of the Sahara.

But.....take it from me, don't forget your Malaria pils, and keep taking them when you get back.

The others are bad enough, but Malaria you don't want!