PDA

View Full Version : Curious Fault code - Samsung

madfriday
20-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi all - Fancy a brain teaser? I have a Samsung SRS2028 (side by side, american style) to repair for a chap...
It has no ice build-up anywhere (-unusual for a samsung!!) BUT, the fan in the fridge side won't start up, and when i press the two top buttons on the display (which shows the error codes) - i am getting just the very bottom stroke of the last digit 8 lighting up
I wondered if any of the pro's out there could shed any light on it ? It looks like it is trying to tell us the fault , but i dont have the codes:-(
....i have bench tested the fan (plus all thermisters/T-fuses)and they seam A1
Tricky one ?! ...regards Andy, Shropshire

Brian_UK
20-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Well it sounds for a start as though the digital display is shot if only one bar is coming on - but I could very well be wrong. ;)

bernard
20-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi

If no one can help here then try

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

Regards Bernard

madfriday
21-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi, i have it on good authority that is the system check for Samsungs (RS21, SRS20, etc) during normal operation, is to hold the top two buttons down, just until display flashes - this will reset the electronics.
Secondly, if the top two buttons are held down for longer (8 seconds) the display goes blank and will show any error messages in the form of DASHES
I have experimented with unplugging air or frost probes - and the error code you get -on a blank screen is different parts of the last digit lighting up.
Example: when i disconnect the fridge air-probe, shut both doors, hold down top buttons around display - The SIDE of the last "8" digit lights up ! ...strange but true.
But, I need to know what it means when the BOTTOM of the "8" digit lights up
PS: Good old LG put their fault codes on the backs of the cabinets, But Samsung are tight with theirs... :cool:
Regards - Andy

paul_h
21-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Is this fridge twin evap or single?
If twin evap, are both fans not working, or just one?
Anyway, the bottom horizontal LED segment is fan motor fault from memory.
How do you mean you bench tested the fan, as they're multispeed?
I had one that worked for 30 sec then stopped, had the same error as something was wrong with low speed. Replacing the fan motor fixed it.

I double checked it, the bottom segment in the refrig temp disply side is error 4, ref fan error.
If it was the bottom segment on the freezer temp disply side it would be error 11, which is the freezer fan motor. It's probably stuffed on low speed, like the one I worked on.

The very first samsung fridges had all the error codes on the back as well, I don't know why they stopped doing that. I had a hard enough time finding them as they've only given me parts of manuals.

madfriday
21-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Hello, yes, this is the twin evaporator model. or 'Twincool' as they brand it. --sounds like you could be right about the fan. I will check it further.
Have only stripped/examined it on the bench, we have had the fan running in the cabinet at one point, so dismissed the possibility of a prob. didn't know it was multi speed though.
The freezer side and it's fan are operating perfectly.
Am grateful for your info, there is so little about for this brand. kind regards Andy

paul_h
13-12-2007, 04:17 PM
PS: Good old LG put their fault codes on the backs of the cabinets, But Samsung are tight with theirs... :cool:
Regards - AndyDigging this up to ask something about LG fridges as I can't find one post on here about them.
I've got a guy on another forum asking what's wrong with his fridge. The display goes blank or flashes, and the thing beeps every 30sec, but the temperatures are normal. From what I gather it's an upside down fridge/freezer with digital temp display.
Just thought I'd ask since this thread is about silly korean fridge fault codes :p

If you're still around madfriday maybe you can tell us whether replacing the fan fixed this samsung, and maybe tell me something about LG fridges ;)

madfriday
28-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Hello Paul, I have seen a few LG's and i think pretty much every one i've dealt with has a tin cover on the top of the cabinet hiding a large printed circuit board. first sight of which may give you a panic attack :eek: But on closer inspection (underside of cover) you'll see a 'legend' of what all the connections do, also a list of all the fault codes, it also describes where on the PCB to find the TEST button ! -this will test run all the components on the machine for i think 10 seconds....
Nice set up !
On the ones i've dealt with tho, the fault codes have always shown up the prob' and i've never used the button ...yet!
With one such call-out to a LG i actually photographed the legend & the codes with a hi-res digi camera. If you think it would be any help i can try upload a pic to the site.
LG Beeping every 30secs eh? Off top of my head sounds like the open-door alarm, think i would check door switches/door alignment....
Hope this is of some help, the info you gave us on the Samsung fan fault code was spot on.
Your clearly a Fridge Fixer of the highest order ;)
Many regards, Andy

paul_h
28-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I tried to look up the LG fault code on the net, and the only alarm I could find that matched the pattern was indeed door alarm sensor.
This is for someone on another forum I visit, so I'll never look at the fridge as it's 20000km away.
I was just trying to advise him so he'd know what to look for, and know if the mechanic he calls out has any idea. The only thing that didn't make any sense to me was the flashing display, I didn't find that fault anywhere on line and on samsungs it means a heater/fan error normally.
Thanks for your reply anyway, I appreciate it. I need to learn as much as possible about all brands as I'm going out on my own soon.