PDA

View Full Version : Training help

sutt777
20-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi all

I am a time served electrician, been out of the game quite a while but am returning to the job. Could someone please tell me the training/requirements I would need to install simple:o split aircon systems. I would be up to date on all the elec side, so just the basics for these systems.

Thanks in advance

Latte
20-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Sutt777

C & G Gas Handling is a must, although normally you wont have to touch the gas when installing a split, just opening the valve once the pipework is vac'd you may need to top it up on longer systems. Braising courses are also good, not only to teach techniquem but also H & S issues and the use of nitrogeon purging when braising. I am glas to see you are looking at getting trained properly and not just jumping in. All the best with your future employment and of course there a lots of us on the forum for when you run into problems

Regards

fatboy

The Viking
20-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Don't worry M8, you don't need any additional training.

The Viking
20-09-2007, 09:17 PM
NOTE:
The previous message was "tongue in cheek"......

I as an experienced A/C engineer has been asked by a friend if I can rewire a couple of houses for him, should be simple, just a couple of Dist boards, cabling, sockets and so on.
As I already got 20+ years as an engineer (admittingly in another field) it shouldn't be a big problem, should it?

To answer your question..
A minimum of 2 years (accelerated) day release collage, together with working beside an experienced A/C guy.

sutt777
20-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Appreciate the fact that it is a time taken skill to install aircon and am not demeaning it, I understand training will be required but, I am talking of reasonable striaght forward aircon systems, nothing too complicated.

What by LAW am I required to have.

I am not going to become a full aircon engineer, just handy to be able to offer domestic aircon should customers require it, would like to know how to do it properly and not destroy the planet in the process.:)

sutt777
20-09-2007, 10:35 PM
And rewiring a house is v simple in electrical terms, am sure you are more than capable of doing it.

Doing a multiple 3 phase install using pyro and enhanced safety glands in a petro-chemical explosive area is a damm site harder.

However part P is required by law or at least the install checked and certified by part P qualified electrician is required by LAW for a simple house install.

Just asking if there is a similar requirement in your industry