PDA

View Full Version : "f" Gas Dilema !

old gas bottle
18-09-2007, 08:23 AM
is this true,wholesalers can still sell to joe public,systems,gas etc, i though this legistlation was to tighten up on refrigerant misuse in its many guises,to me its failing at the first hurdle,i was hoping that it might thin a few cowboys out but obviously not,

how many of us feel that keeping up with all the certification is not being backed up by the industry and its governing board.

i ,am expecting some flack here but its got to be said,after all you cant play with gas unless your corgi registered.:mad:

taz24
18-09-2007, 08:39 AM
how many of us feel that keeping up with all the certification is not being backed up by the industry and its governing board.

i ,am expecting some flack here but its got to be said,after all you cant play with gas unless your corgi registered.:mad:

I Think your right.

But in the CORGI gas industry the plumb merchants are still selling boilers to Joe public.
If, with all the years of legislation regarding gas, I can go to a plumbers mechant and buy a boiler then we still have a long way to go in the fridge industry.

Cheers taz.

rac
12-12-2007, 03:42 PM
The requirement for only certified companies and trained personnel to be supplied witih refrigerant doesnt come in until July 2009. They cant restrict the sales until they decide who is and who isnt competent - so the Government have to get the legally mandatory training in place first.
Having said that some wholesalers are voluntarily deciding only to sell to qualified people in advance of their legal obligations.

Argus
12-12-2007, 04:13 PM

There are two distinct sides to this - individuals’ qualifications and company registration, each with a separate timetable.

First, a draft proposal for a regulation on competence and mutual recognition qualifications of individuals in relation to the tasks in the F Gas regulation is already prepared, though not yet finalised. It needs a vote in the European Parliament.
This should have been completed by July 2007. The resulting regulation is expected to be published in the Official Journal, probably in the New Year. It takes effect 20 days later. The UK government will probably draw up a separate SI containing the offences and penalties in domestic law. They will also need to consider the transition period and the not inconsiderable task of examining and qualifying the entire RAC working population of this country.
Interestingly, it contains a definition of what constitutes an ‘installation’ that will effectively put an end to DIY air-conditioning installed by homeowners, providing that it remains in the final draft.

Secondly, ( and I think this was the original question about who can legally buy and sell F Gas products), the regulation requires member states governments to decide on the registration process for companies, (as distinct from individual employees) who sell F Gas and preparations and this is due on a country by country basis by July 2009.

expat
15-12-2007, 12:05 AM
I had some clever stuff to say but Argus has ruined everything with a perfect answer:rolleyes:

I will add that I registered with the Prefecture (governing body, long arm of the law)that I would be handling f gases and they took no less than six months to tell me my file was incomplete. Why?, because I couldn't find the receipt for the electronic leak detector I had bought several years previously and so took photos and wrote and signed a note whereby I swore it to be working and belonging to me.

This was unacceptable to them even though I had all the other receipts required (recovery machine, vacuum pump and guage, manifold, the list goes on and even requires spanners and screw drivers).

In the mean time none of the suppliers cared less who they sold the gas to. And to top it all, when I finally got my permit through it turned out I was number 381 in a region that is bigger than Suffolk, Norfolk, Kent and Essex put together.

So I'm with OGB. I think we're being taken for suckers!

pendlesteve
21-12-2007, 04:51 PM
One of the beuties about the f-gas reg's is that disposable cyl's will be phased out & become unobtainable. This should result in deposits being paid for dumpies or taking a large cyl with a short free loan period.