PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitoes and air currents

momo
18-09-2007, 01:03 AM
An open window and a breeze is usually sufficient for an adequate temperature and ventilation, but there are cases when people have air conditioners installed for other reasons than control of the above (outdoor noise, pollution, humidity...)
I'm thinking of mosquitoes, these interrupt a good nights sleep, carry infections and diseases, windows must be shut, chemical sprays, heated capillary (perfume type) dosers used... :mad:

What practical experience have people had using air flows in rooms/windows to discourage their presence?

Unusual question for an air conditioning forum,however, the issued is one of ventilation.

I have found on occasions that fans placed strategically causing air turbulence at entrances and promoting a renewal of air avoids the little wretches (nasty small insects) from homing in attacking one.

Comments from all parts welcome, including descriptions of particularly persistent organic models of night-fighters:D

(ps Please move if inappropriate here)

Tesla
18-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Hi Momo
Yes I hate bloody mosquitos too, they come in my windows usually around nitefall. Whilst in Thailand last year a few resturaunts brought out fans - they said mosquitos did't like strong air currents. This worked but my missus cant sleep with a fan on, so on a bad nite I'll spray the blood suckers with fly spray. I find smelly things like candles and incence keep them down, but beer tends to attract them. I rent with no ac - wishing for that lotto win.
Cheers

momo
18-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi Momo
Yes I hate bloody mosquitos too, they come in my windows usually around nitefall. Whilst in Thailand last year a few resturaunts brought out fans - they said mosquitos did't like strong air currents. This worked but my missus cant sleep with a fan on....
Cheers
Thanks Tesla
I agree with the strong airflow idea, like air curtains but less noisy...
I was also wondering about their sense of smell, and if with air flows their sense of smell does not work targetting: I read somewhore that they detect the CO2 from human breath and if beer is a favourite oops about that night-cap :eek:

Tesla
19-09-2007, 02:12 AM
I think the air flows would affect the sensing of co2 but they have another weopon - infra red heat seeking, pretty advanced so they can pinpoint a vein. Well I won the lotto $20. I used to leave cobwebs in the house but got bitten by a spider that looked like a daddylongleggs. It helps to remove any open water around the house ( buckets/containers ) to reduce their breeding. I haven't tried it but heard of an ultrasonic plug in device which repels them, not sure what any side effects micht be. Any way still waiting for that big lotto win.
Sleep tight

Richard Hillsid
22-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I hate mosies so i live on a Island, have AC for the rare night that some come by.