PDA

View Full Version : Locating air cooled condenser on the roof or on the ground?

halacoque
17-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi,

What would be your advice or opinion as to the preferred location of air cooled condensers. We may put them on the roof of the building (21 Ft (7 m) high). I am reluctant because of the difficult access in cases of maintenance and breakdowns. Plus we have snow and ice in the winter ... On the other hand, they are out of the way...

On the ground, they are accessible, but more vulnerable. They'd have to mounted on high enough frames to clear the snow ...

Any considerations I am not factoring in ...?

Thanks,

cameron.e
17-09-2007, 07:59 PM
here in sa i would go with placing them on the roof do to theft but also to keep it away from anything like dust and paper getting caught behind it and cause it to under condence ,if in your case if i place it on the roof i would fit fan speed controllers to the condencer fans to prevent over condencing in winter,cheers

Lowrider
17-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Measures can be taken to prefent damage or theft when the condensor is at ground level.

The best reason to choose either option would be pipe run. The shorter the distance , the better in terms off charge.

How ever, if the condensor is below the compressor, this is not always a good solution and can give many problems later on in terms of oil return.

If the roof is the only option, the customer will have to make provisions to get roof acces in a safe way and a correct way so you can bring tools and/ or spares to it!

taz24
17-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi,

Any considerations I am not factoring in ...?

Thanks,

My choice would be to put it high on the roof.
If you have to make a frame for it to sit higher than the snow then for the same cost or not much more you could make an access ladder and gantree for safe access to the roof all year round.

Cheers taz.

halacoque
18-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you for your kind assistance and expertise. I will locate the condensers on the roof or sufficiently elevated from the ground and snow level to have a good air flow while maintaining the condensers above the HP receivers.

Thanks again.