PDA

View Full Version : refrigeration tools

phil.knowles
13-12-2002, 10:38 PM
I am new to refrigeration so i need some tools. IE second hand or a cheap supplier any contacts

Brian_UK
15-12-2002, 10:47 PM
I haven't got an answer for you on this one Phil but I would caution you on buying 2nd hand kit.

The mechanical tools that you need, if old, may be blunt, out of shape, weakened or similar. Also any gauge sets you get must be treated as suspect.

The prices for gauges are not too exorbitant and considering that it is your hands, face or body that could get damaged when the cheap/old set blow up on you, safety has to come first.

Don't skimp on tools, it doesn't pay in the long run, your quality of work will be low, the customer won't be impressed and amongst other things your life on site will be harder working with old/cheap kit.

Good luck with your new interest by the way.

phil.knowles
15-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the advice its very much appreciated. Where can i buy new tools from?

frank
16-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Dean & Wood, NRS, HRP, SWM, RPW, Derbyshire Refrigeration, J & E Hall to name but a few - there are also many other fridge retailers out there who will be willing to take your hard earned cash.

Best thing to do is to ask your lecturer at college who is the best local supplier.

Frank

abcdefg1675
07-04-2003, 01:28 AM
ebay :D Ive looked on there. Aincent evacuation pumps selling at prices even i can afford (if you dont count in the shipping) hose adaters, charging hoses and 100lb cans of R12.

phil.knowles
10-04-2003, 08:52 PM
good reply ive got loads of stuff from ebay

abcdefg1675
11-04-2003, 02:24 AM
i always remeber R12 illegal to sell. I know you can buy it if your EPA certified, but i didnt know about selling it...

speaking of that, i know someone who picked up 2lbs of it for 50 cents (us) at a yard sale... :eek:

condenseddave
27-06-2003, 03:15 AM
It was about 50 cents a pound when I started...:(

Latte
27-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Anyone looking for cheaper new tools try SRWonline.co.uk

Bones
22-01-2004, 10:35 AM
i heard more kilos of r12 are smuggled into america each year then illegal drugs.

chemi-cool
22-01-2004, 05:14 PM
its not the price or where to buy, in time you will find the right place for you with a tools supplier.

the most important is WHAT you buy.
the tools market is flooded with cheap tools from the far east, low quality steel which make them dangerous sometimes.

go always for the best, in the long run it will be also the cheapest cos if you only use tools for the purpose they was invented for, thy will last forever.

I can only give you the names, the decision is yours,

no. 1 is RIDGED and BACKO and then all the rest.

I use the same tools for over 20 years and I've got strong arms.

so, its not where or how much or what colour but WHAT MAKE.

welcome to the trade - "fridgeman"

chemi

Karl Hofmann
22-01-2004, 06:10 PM
The word "cheap" always leaves me cold when it comes to tools that I shall use regularly, however if it is a tool that I will be using once, or know that the environment that it will be used in will harm the equipment then cheap it is! No way would I have used my nice Makita 9 inch grinder to chase out plaster and masonry for electrics and gas in the confines of my livingroom, so off I went to MAKRO for a £20 9 inch grinder. Just as I was finishing the last cut that unmistakable smell of toasted insulation filled the air, but that tool had done its job and was retired to the bin.

chemi-cool
22-01-2004, 06:51 PM
there you go karl,

woud not use your tools at home?

my kind of man.

I take my 35 kg toolbox when i go on vacation, always come in handy.

look at: http://www.gizmos-uk.com/ or:http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/

look after your tools, it may save your life.

chemi

Karl Hofmann
22-01-2004, 07:18 PM
LOL Chemi,

I wouldn't do anything at home if I could get away with it ! That red brick dust took ages to get off me, it gets everywhere!

Tools wise, many cheap tools look cheap and customers rightly or wrongly measure a tradesmans abillity by appearance, but good tools dont need to be the most expensive either!

rbartlett
23-01-2004, 09:15 AM
i agree with chemi i found barco several yrs ago and bought their screwdrivers which were excellent.

other guy's would say " yer but i always lose tools, so i won't spend any money on them"
i would reply " yes but i'd rather get 6 months our of a decent screwdriver then lose it than put up with ****e kit no matter how long i have it"

still not every one can afford the 'best' so we must not judge ;-)

it's just a personal decision...

cheers

richard

Brian_UK
24-01-2004, 11:28 PM
I was somewhat taken aback at my local Plumb Center (plumbing merchant for our non-uk friends) the other week.

I needed a couple of 14 inch pipe wrenchs (Stillsons to me and you) so walked in the store and asked for them.

The guy behind the counter went and looked at a display stand with small bubble wrapped items on it before coming back to me and asking "what do they look like?" :rolleyes:

Well, I just said don't bother and walked out. I couldn't believe it.

grabber01
25-01-2004, 01:55 AM
I tend to find the same problem at HRP at the moment.
Apart from Bury, all the other depots seem to changed all their staff. Anyone else had problems with them ?

Karl Hofmann
25-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Same thing here with Plumbcenter, unless you get one of the "older" guys who now live in the office, you have no chance. I asked for a Carbon Monoxide meter and despite the fact that I was looking at one over the counter I was told that they didn't have any, and large bayonet fittings for gas cookers have been discontinued....Ha!

Sometimes it's easier to go to B&Q

Brian_UK
26-01-2004, 11:41 PM
We're having a competion to get the best name for B & Q ...

The starter is :- Buy and Queue, what are they like in your area ?