PDA

View Full Version : Citb Or Not Citb

Grizzly
16-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi to All.
This is primarilly a question to those of us that hold a U.K. Ammonia safe handling Certificate.
For a long time I had been renewing my C.I.T.B. SAFE HANDLING CERT. Every 3 yrs (as reqd.)
Untill it was pointed out that if I did the City & Guilds
version. I would not have to renew it every 3yrs.
So almost 3 yrs ago my Collegue and myself sat the C&G Closed book exam and duely received our certificates.
Imagine my supprise when our depot manager contacted us to say. The training company where we had sat this exam had phoned him to say our Certificates were due for renewal as it would be 3 yrs in Feb 2008.
I have scanned the C&G Web site and can find no recall or update details requiring a resit?
The only referance I can find is that it says Some Companies like their employees to retake this 3 yearly
Has any one else a similar experiance or any views on this

Argus
17-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I should point out that this is a UK only qualification.

To my knowledge the C&G assessment certificate is valid until there is a change in technology or practice that results in a change in their assessment procedures.
This is the case for the F gas version, and I presume it is also the case for ammonia. As it’s issued by C&G, I suggest that you contact them. If they say it’s valid for an indeterminate time, then it’s valid.
The CITB version on the other hand is valid for 3 years and needs a re-assessment after it expires.

I know you asked about ammonia, but in fact the F Gas version of either is now a requirement to work on any of the F Gases, CFCs, HCFCs and HFCs in the UK and other EU countries.

In my opinion, the possession of qualifications to work on ammonia and hydrocarbons should be separate and stand-alone qualifications, distinct from the two assessments that are used in the most part for the conventional refrigerants.

As the new F Gas laws will require a mandatory leakage check, and the possession of a valid assessment certificate is used to enforce the new law in the UK, it’s probable that there will be a change in both the assessments soon to take this into account.

Employers are entitled to require a periodic re-assessment of either if they wish, and it’s not a bad idea.
But they should be prepared to pay for it if it is not a requirement of the certificate.

Hope this helps.

taz24
17-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi to All.
This is primarilly a question to those of us that hold a U.K. Ammonia safe handling Certificate.

As Argus says the qualification is valid unless they bring in new legislation changing the rules to which we must abide by.

As long as you have not killed anyone :D by deliberate release into a shopping centre or some such place you do not need to retake it.

Cheers taz.

Grizzly
17-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for your prompt replys Taz 24 and Argus.
Just to clarify what I was asking.
Basically had any other of our Ammonia Engineers been approached regarding resitting C&G SAFE HANDLING OF AMMONIA / CHARGING A SYSTEM which is 2078 parts 3&4.

Not to be confused with SAFE HANDLING OF REFRIGERANTS / CHARGING A SYSTEM which is 2078 parts 1&2
Therfore there are 2 distinct Certificates regarding Ammonia and other Refrigerants.
C.I.T.B. also has the same 2 distinct catagories but, as has been stated these have to be resat every 3 yrs!
Thanks Grizzly

taz24
17-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Just to clarify what I was asking.
Basically had any other of our Ammonia Engineers been approached regarding resitting C&G SAFE HANDLING OF AMMONIA / CHARGING A SYSTEM which is 2078 parts 3&4.

I can't answer that obviously.
no one should need to retake the 2078 1,2 or 3,4.
if providers are telling engineers that they need to then they are either very confused or misleading the customer.

Not to be confused with SAFE HANDLING OF REFRIGERANTS / CHARGING A SYSTEM which is 2078 parts 1&2
Therfore there are 2 distinct Certificates regarding Ammonia and other Refrigerants.

Yes ammonia is seperate to non ammonia whether C&G or CITB.

Cheers taz.

Argus
17-09-2007, 09:33 PM

You aren't making your point clearly understood.

As I said in my reply, check it out with C&G, as appropriate. They are better positioned to give you a definitive reply.

The parts 3 & 4 of the C&G assessment should obey the same rules as parts 1 & 2 unless they state otherwise. In otherwords if they say it has a 3 year life and 1 & 2 are open ended, then that is what it it is.

Secondly, even though C&G issue a ‘perpetual’ certificate, good for the scope-life of the course, employers have a right also to demand (and pay for) a re-assessment.

Equally, you have the right to refuse if your certificate is still valid.

taz24
18-09-2007, 12:11 AM

As I said in my reply, check it out with C&G, as appropriate. They are better
positioned to give you a definitive reply.

Secondly, even though C&G issue a ‘perpetual’ certificate, good for the scope-life of the course, employers have a right also to demand (and pay for) a re-assessment.

Thats a good point Argus.
It may be the company requesting the reassessment?
In which case as part of there employment terms they may require you to be assessed reguarly to prove ability?
I do not know your situation but C&G do not require a reassessment and that comes from a C&G assessor.
Cheers taz.

Grizzly
18-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the Info Guys
Grizzly

old gas bottle
18-09-2007, 08:11 AM
good info guys, dont mean to be a wet wrag but has anyone heard the rumour that CITB [thats our outfits choice] and C&G will soon not be enough to satisfy europe and a corgi type scheeme will be required that will be alot more intense and expensive in money terms and time.:confused:

taz24
18-09-2007, 08:45 AM
good info guys, dont mean to be a wet wrag but has anyone heard the rumour that CITB [thats our outfits choice] and C&G will soon not be enough to satisfy europe and a corgi type scheeme will be required that will be alot more intense and expensive in money terms and time.:confused:

It's been heading that way for years unfortunatley.
Soon he mininimum requirement required is level two and then in the near future it will be level 3.

taz.