PDA

View Full Version : moving fridges?

airconadam
16-09-2007, 06:48 PM
hey again all this might sound a stupid question but its one of them that i have never know why exactly:confused: all it is when you move fridges should you turn them back on right away or not and if not why???

thanks alot adam

ella
16-09-2007, 10:45 PM
what type of fridges?

Brian_UK
16-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Adam, it's generally accepted that you should leave the fridge for some hours before restarting.

This came about because you didn't always know how the fridge had been transported. If they had been laid on their side or back then the standing time would allow the oil to return to the compressor. This is assuming that the oil had left the compressor in the first place.

Just playing safe I suppose.

taz24
17-09-2007, 01:13 PM
hey again all this might sound a stupid question but its one of them that i have never know why exactly:confused: all it is when you move fridges should you turn them back on right away or not and if not why???

thanks alot adam

Hi Adam.

When moving fridges they move them on there back to stop the door crashing open and damageing it. If it is packaged up it can be transported any way.
If it has been laid down then there is a chance the oil could run from the comp so leaving it standing after being laid down would alow the oil to drain back to he comp.

I have worked with domestics and I have bought domestics for my own use

In my opinion the only reason delivery men insist you leave it standing for a few hours before switching it on is to ensure they get off your property and do not have to deal with any potential problems that may arise when starting a new fridge for the first time.
If they switch it on and it does not work they then have to remove it and replace it. If they are off site you the customer has to arrange for it to be picked up and dealt with.
cynical I know but true.

taz.

airconadam
17-09-2007, 06:05 PM
ah right iam with you so really its just the oil issue.:D just someone asked me the other day and iwas like:confused: and started going on about the refrigerant;) But thanks alot guys another one for the memory bank:D:D

adam

pmalawa
17-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello friends,
am back on the forum .

marc5180
04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Who are you?

sinewave
04-10-2007, 11:09 PM
It is an oil migration issue.

If, as stated, the fridge has been on it's back for a while and some/all of the oil has migrated in to the comps head area then if it's switched on straight away hydraulic lock up can occur and wreck the piston and rod etc etc :eek: