PDA

View Full Version : PDA Computer Things

SteveCass
15-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Anyone use a PDA for job sheets etc. at work? My firm is getting them and I have heard mixed things, some like them others don't. Will this make my life easier or will I have to launch it at a wall and carry on writing sheets on carbon paper (press hard there's 15 copies)?

Steve

Brian_UK
15-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Yep, use a PDA for my job allocations.

Log on, finish job - log off = timesheet entry done.
Job report still done by hand on a four copy form.

Expenses and purchase orders all done on PDA.

End of week, check my timesheet and expenses, press the button and send it in - job done.

We are, allegedly, having electonic job reports some time, but I don't see that happening somehow. It's quicker to write by hand and the customer get a hard copy at the end of the job. I could be wrong of course.

Latte
15-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Steve,

The company i work for also uses them and its the future ( So they tell me)

All youre jobs are on the screen, select one, do youre report, book out the parts, do time entries and send it off. The office have it straight away. No more filling out timesheets at the end of the day. you can look back and see what you have done. Our company also use it to restock my van with parts overnight as they can see whats been used from my van stock. If its used correctly then its great. Also has e-mail facility on it as well. I am told there is a page in the latest ACR magazine about it, or check out www.computersoftware.com/customer.asp?casestudyid=62&industryId=4

Regards

Fatboy

Brian_UK
15-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Hey Ray, nice link - is that you looking suave in the picture or do you have a body double?

Latte
16-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey Ray, nice link - is that you looking suave in the picture or do you have a body double?

Yep, course it is Brian :eek:

Maybe 10 years ago

Ray

unloadedinher
18-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Anyone use a PDA for job sheets etc. at work? My firm is getting them and I have heard mixed things, some like them others don't. Will this make my life easier or will I have to launch it at a wall and carry on writing sheets on carbon paper (press hard there's 15 copies)?

Steve

Hi steve,
like all things there is good and bad, the good thing is you can upload all those electonic controler peramerters onto a SD memory card, saving carrying loads of paper.

The bad thing can be, a form of tracking device, or like we did, we had a pda, it ended up as a very big ugly mobile phone..
take care, have fun

expat
18-09-2007, 09:06 PM
PDA...hmmm, Proposterous Device Affliction. Sorry, I'm just having trouble with my new PDA/Mobile. It has all the bells and whistles but I don't know how to shut the f*****g things off yet!

rdocwra (can I call you Ray, 'cause that's a tough one to spell/remember) I sent you a pm but heard nothing back. I grew up in Beck Row, not so far from you, we may have common aquaintances.

nh3wizard
18-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I love my PDA, its better than a pad and pencil.

Latte
18-09-2007, 10:35 PM
PDA...hmmm, Proposterous Device Affliction. Sorry, I'm just having trouble with my new PDA/Mobile. It has all the bells and whistles but I don't know how to shut the f*****g things off yet!

rdocwra (can I call you Ray, 'cause that's a tough one to spell/remember) I sent you a pm but heard nothing back. I grew up in Beck Row, not so far from you, we may have common aquaintances.

Expat,

Sorry, Things gone a bit mental the last few weeks, have a few PM's to reply to. May have a session on them tonight. Although i live in Fordham i am actually and Essex Boy really, Moved up this way for a job 15 years ago. The first PDA's we used were the O2 xda's then the Orange M2000's. OK had all the bells and whistles, syclops job management, e-mail, sat nav but also we were using them as phones - not good :eek:

Too big to fit easily on yours pocket and too big screen for general use and led to a lot of damaged screens, The units are not too robust either to a heavy working environment either (Obviously not me :D)

We now have standard Nokia mobile phones and a far better psion teklogix PDA. Much more robust, havnt heard of any breaking when being dropped. Bit better sending e-mails now as it has its own hard keypad as well as the on screen one.
Regards
Ray

SteveCass
24-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I think the plan is to continue using our mobiles as normal, but have the PDA for e-mail and to replace the paperwork that has to be sent to the office. Be interesting to be able to get the tech stuff whilst at work and make use of it then and there, instead of having to research at home and then return another day with said info. Just hope it works out as per the plan.

Steve