PDA

View Full Version : The positioning of a blower

Dr._Fleck
14-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I've been installing plant on a coldroom today. Let me run this by you experts.

The coldroom is about 6m x 3m wide with the door in the side at one end. After thinking for a short time i decided to fit the evap at the door end blowing down the room to get a nice circulation. The ceilings are 2.6m high so there is no risk of banging heads on it or any kind of trolley hitting it. This meant the pipe run was only about 6m instead of 12m if it had been at the other end.

All was fine until some kind of manager tuned up on site and complained that "surely the blower should go down the other end" he said that being at the door end it would drag air in and if the door is opened alot would continually ice up. my reply was that if the door is opened alot it would ice up anyway, and it goes on defrost every 4 hours anyway.

After making a phone call to one of his buddies and getting shirty i agreed to move it.

What are your thoughts on this?

PS. It's a -21 freezer

davej
14-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Dr Fleck, i wouldnt put it by the door, sorry to agree with the suit. was just reading through some other post and found this from Tazz,
If your system is not defrosting correctly, automaticaly then the defrost system needs looking at and repairing, adjusting or replacing to ensure it does work.
If the system does defrost automaticaly but ice builds up in one area for no real reason then you need to look at what is causeing the ice.
If the evap is near a door that allows air to enter the room and go to the evap then this in my opinion would be the major cause.

Cheers taz.

US Iceman
14-09-2007, 08:39 PM
..."surely the blower should go down the other end" he said that being at the door end it would drag Air (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/glossary.php?do=viewglossary&term=17) in and if the door is opened alot would continually ice up.

I agree with this logic. Not only will it drag air up, but the warm entering entering will also naturally rise up to the coil. The air flow should be directed towards the doors.

Dr._Fleck
15-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Firstly, the door is new and would not let in air when it's closed, if it did, this problem would of course ice up the evap no matter where it is positioned. Also there is an air curtain for when the door is opened.

What about plug in commercial freezers? Their evaps are no more than 500mm from the door and they don't ice up. Normally i would put the blower down the far end out of the way anyway, but as i said the ceilings are high.

The system would have used less electric with half the pipe run, therefore less man made global warming, Also less copper for me to buy ha, ha:D