PDA

View Full Version : this is why i love my job :P

coolerboy
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I had an interresting breakdown on monday.....

So this guy phones and tells me that he has a Thermo King Ts200 that refuses to cool, now for those of you that dont know... the ts is equipped with a scroll compressor (guess where this is going).

Upon arrival the first thing i did was to connect my manifold set and take a peep at what the machine is doing....

Surprise above surprises!!!

The thermal protect on the compressor was completely ripped out!!:confused: The HP swithch was bridged and the compressor had this horrible knocking sound that indicated a completely US compressor.... tried a pump down.... only 30 psig!! nothing less. All this happened with a full sightglass. Condenser coil fins was smashed up, water pump belt needed adjustment, major oil leak on the oil drain pipe....

the best was yet to come....when i went to check the evap, i found to my disgust and horror, some idiot went and made a horrible plumbing job of the expansion valve!!!!:eek::eek: He went and installed a danfoss TES2 valve completely outside the evap section, reduced the 5/8 distributor to 3/8 by copperteching the copper pipe to the brass distributor!!!!!

so now you ask why i love my job......

well.. because of that, i know that somewhere out there, there is some schmuck that knows less than me :D

alpha
13-09-2007, 04:09 PM
hi, at least the screw to tweak superheat is easy to get to :D

Good luck with it if you havn't walked away from it!

marc5180
13-09-2007, 05:03 PM
he he, theres hope for me yet;)

Lowrider
13-09-2007, 05:05 PM
at least he made the exv easy to get to!

And getting the 3/8 to sit in the 5/8 without leaking? That takes a lot of effort! Give the guy some credit for trying!;)

coolerboy
13-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Needless to say i walked away from that one....

hehe, the customer was upset at me for doing so but in the time ive been doing this ive learnt its better to have one angry customer than having to deal with constant breakdowns and warranty repairs :cool:

cameron.e
17-09-2007, 08:30 PM
coolerboy that can only happen here in sa ,bud.I think that is why we are still here to make an impression cheers bru

Will
18-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Looks like that 3-way been smacked more than a few times. :D

coolerboy
20-09-2007, 07:41 PM
coolerboy that can only happen here in sa ,bud.I think that is why we are still here to make an impression cheers bru

hehe, as you say, only in SA. Ive seen some pretty scary jobs in the past and i regret not getting photos. But hey, at least there is some of us still trying to do a decent job.

hehe, the 3 way valve has had all living daylights smacked out of it, dunno why, but yar..... i mean, if its sticky, open it up, check why and repair.

anyways, till laters

ciao

bentk32
10-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I should take some pictures of some braze joints that I have seen when replacing that compressor .:)

get the gauges
15-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi ,i'm not a transport man, but he's made a neat job of the valve and has obviously put it outside for easy access ,and thinks the customer will wear it. So whats the actual problem? Is the valve not compatable?, or is it the reduced 1/2" down to 3/8" from the valve that concerns,i'd be interested to know if truck valves are different,thanks

coolerboy
24-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi there,

the problem with putting the txv valve outside the evaporator section on a transport unit is that with loading and offloading the chances of it being hit and causing leaks is so much greater and with meat hangers its guaranteed that it would happen. Also, you wouldnt be able to install or remove the unit without removing the entire txv setup.

secondly, that specific type of unit has a specially designed txv that suits the application. on locally manufactured units we use the danfoss valves but on the overseas ones like carrier and thermo king we use their manufactured valves.

with the reduction from 1/2" to 3/8" the suction will be "choked" in a manner of speaking. not to mention that he used coppertech on a silversolder joint.

ciao

Peter_1
27-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi ,i'm not a transport man, but he's made a neat job of the valve and has obviously put it outside for easy access ,and thinks the customer will wear it. So whats the actual problem? Is the valve not compatable?, or is it the reduced 1/2" down to 3/8" from the valve that concerns,i'd be interested to know if truck valves are different,thanks

Was thinking about the same.

DEVITG
28-10-2007, 05:31 AM
I had seen a lot of it

get the gauges
31-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi there,

the problem with putting the txv valve outside the evaporator section on a transport unit is that with loading and offloading the chances of it being hit and causing leaks is so much greater and with meat hangers its guaranteed that it would happen. Also, you wouldnt be able to install or remove the unit without removing the entire txv setup.

secondly, that specific type of unit has a specially designed txv that suits the application. on locally manufactured units we use the danfoss valves but on the overseas ones like carrier and thermo king we use their manufactured valves.

with the reduction from 1/2" to 3/8" the suction will be "choked" in a manner of speaking. not to mention that he used coppertech on a silversolder joint.

ciao
ok ,i understand, especially as you can't pull the unit out without undoing the valve.Thanks for replying

REEFER-TEK
25-11-2007, 03:44 AM
I know where i guy can buy a good refurbished
ts-200 with 3000 engine run hrs for around $7k installed:D

AMIN AL-SADDI
21-06-2008, 11:10 AM
i just want to ask this question :cool:

absolute-zero
22-06-2008, 05:31 PM
i just want to ask this question :cool:

Whats the question?

daniel ox
23-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi there,

ciao
hey cooler boy, there really isnt that much different between a danfoss and a tk valve, just the gen valve has a nic on the seat to allow gas through it during off time and defrost, but i tell ya what, some people should be shot doing **** like that, how do they get away with it?? in oz they have cracked down on cowboys doing this kind of work by not allowing them to buy gas, mayde SA should look at going the same way

Disco3
27-06-2008, 12:20 PM
The powers that be tried to do it a few years ago. Got all my techs certified but thats where it stopped. No body to police the rules. Just have a look at our news from JHB area in the past 3 days . The Metro police( city police. guys with radar speed traps) on strike and discharging there firarms and the SAPS .
On the bright side of things if there are the cowboys out there it gives us someting to chat about , and someone has to clean up the mess.

abbsnowman
05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Not sure why the referance to the US in the original post?

peman
28-07-2008, 12:00 PM
danfoss= tk

kiwireeferman
30-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Not sure why the referance to the US in the original post?

Means it's stuffed, not serviceable

abbsnowman
30-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Means it's stuffed, not serviceable

Oh, I get it sorry. Over here it's O/S Out of service.

absolute-zero
30-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Oh, I get it sorry. Over here it's O/S Out of service.

Some of us refernce it to Computer Operating System. Example: windows 95, 95b 98, 98 second edition, NT, 2000, Millienium, XP, Vista and so on.