PDA

View Full Version : Testing infra red controllers

hendrag
12-09-2007, 11:01 AM
One of my engineers found this out so i thought i would share it with everyone its amazingly geeky but it also works.

When you press buttons on an Infrared remote controller, light is emitted which the human eye alone cannot see.
However, if you point the infrared remote controller at a digital camera, (or a mobile phone with a digital camera on it), and look at the screen of the camera whilst pressing the buttons on the controller you will now be able to see the infrared light emitted from the remote controller

Note: You can see the infrared light better in low light conditions

This is great if you are having trouble adjusting settings or turning your indoor unit on and off, because by using this method and being able to see the infrared light emitted from the controller, you know that: 1) the batteries are okay (not all infrared remote controller have a display to tell you this), and 2) the buttons work and the data is being transmitted. Therefore you know to begin your diagnosis at the indoor unit.

try it its mad but simpleand it works on all ir controllers not just LG

hope it helps

regards

hendrag

paul_h
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah, a few years ago I was using an old clock radio, as on the off tuned AM band you get a burst of static when the remote sends a signal. I've been using the mobile phone camera trick instead for the past year ever since a fuji tech told me about it.
As usual LG way behind the times compared to fuji ;) /jk

marc5180
12-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Thats great, il try it on the next infared remote that i come across:)

p_p
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks Handrag,

PP

frank
12-09-2007, 08:46 PM
From memory, this was also mentioned on the forum sometime early last year.

You don't have to wait until next time you get a hand held AC remote though, it's just the same on a TV remote.

Temprite
13-09-2007, 12:59 PM
As usual LG way behind the times compared to fuji ;) /jk

I made a post regarding this last year and believe it or not, I was made aware of it by LG tech support in Australia:eek::eek::D

giovanni
16-09-2007, 05:06 AM
You can pick up a simple credit card size tester
( Infa Red Detection Card)
Fiber Instrument Sales Inc.
181 Clear Road
Oriskany NY 13424
tele # (315) 736-2206

the part # is F1-4103
It is manufactured for testing Fiber Optic light at 1300 and 1550 nm but also works fine with infra red light such as remote controllers. A handy little device that fits in your wallet. I've had it for 5 years and works great. I hope the above info is still acurate

ella
16-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately in most cases then IR remote has gone it does emit IR light but miss carrier or codes.
And also interesting to see if IR picture on CCD camera changes with IR power changes to see if remote batteries are weak.

Inverter man
08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
You should all thank Hatem Nawar of Fujitsu.

Where did you get this info from Hatem?