PDA

View Full Version : H.A.L Training

richmorris3256
11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Hello to all

Just a quick post to see if anyone had been through H.A.L training school in Donny. Im provisionaly booked for the 15 day HVAC course in November but still time to pull out if its got a bad rep. Seems cheaper than other places too so not sure if thats a good sign or not.

thanks for any responses

Ritchie Morris

taz24
11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Hello to all

Just a quick post to see if anyone had been through H.A.L training school in Donny. Im provisionaly booked for the 15 day HVAC course in November but still time to pull out if its got a bad rep. Seems cheaper than other places too so not sure if thats a good sign or not.

thanks for any responses

Ritchie Morris

You should be ok with HAL.
I've had dealings with them and the trainer knows his stuff and will help you as much as he can.

taz.

coolkid
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Ritchie,

Have you never thought - there is a reason why they are cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

richmorris3256
19-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Ritchie,

Have you never thought - there is a reason why they are cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

i have thought about it but i think they maybe tailor the price around armed forces leavers because if you can use all the grants given it works out to pretty much the exact cost.
Could be wrong and the place is rubbish but booked now so will give feedback at the end of novemeber

Tony
25-09-2007, 09:37 AM
It will be interesting to read your feedback.

PS Can you use your ELCAS with HAL?

richmorris3256
25-09-2007, 01:05 PM
It will be interesting to read your feedback.

PS Can you use your ELCAS with HAL?

you can use your ELCAS if you do the full 15 day course because they have added an electrical add on giving you 16th edition which makes it level 3 but as i have just used my second payment to fund my second year electrical ONC i cant becuase for some reason you cant do 2 ELCAS courses at the same time which is a bit rubbish.

coolkid
20-11-2007, 08:15 PM
richmorris3256,

Have you fiished the HAL course yet?

If so what is your opinion?

richmorris3256
27-11-2007, 11:03 AM
richmorris3256,

Have you fiished the HAL course yet?

If so what is your opinion?

Here is my brief opinion of HAL training

I was on the 3 week course which consisted of 2 wks air con and 1 week electrical

Price 10/10 compared to other providers

Facilities are a bit grim to be honest but they are moving to a new building in the new year so this should vastly improve. Luckily they were full for our first 2 wks so we were housed in Mccormicks tractor factory training centre which was very good and out of the way.

First 2/3 days were pure theory but very well presented with good structured handouts the instructor knows his stuff and how to get it across to all levels.
The rest of the week was spent on rigs doing charging,recovery, vacuum and pressure testing
The equipment they had was in good shape and becuase of the small class numbers they have it was 2 to a rig which is a good way of working things

The second week was the same again first day,
second day was spent in the workshop doing pipework and brazing which to be honest for an important skill was a bit short but experience is the key i suppose. Not really enough kit for this stage and there was some standing around to be done
Wednesday we went on a site visit to cooplands bakery to see there fridge plant and how it all comes together which was a good insite into the industry
thu and fri were spent doing the tests and practical assesments.
All in all i felt it was a good 2 weeks and it built on a basic knowledge base that i had to start with but obviously i have a long road ahead to get into this industry

The 3rd week was spent back at HAL
for the first day and a half we did the CITB essential electrics course which was very well taught too basic for anyone like me who has done electrical courses at college but its always good to go over the basics again DONT DO THIS ELECTRICAL COURSE IF YOU THINK LIKE ME ITS GOING TO BE FRIDGE BASED AROUND CONTROLS AND SUCH LIKE because its not
the rest of the week was 16th edition IEE regs

i would highly reccomend HAL training and with the new building should be a great provider just check that the course is for you before signing up
Speak to Janet she couldnt be more helpful

also free lunches which is good

if i have missed any important stuff let me know and i will rack my brains
by the way dont worry about failing its impossible we had a guy who shouldnt be let anywhere near fridge stuff and still passed