PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

Danny11
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi guys

Could any members tell me how they do there maintainance on say a normal split consette system.

Iv Been doing air conditioning for five years now and would just like to know how other engineers go on maintenance and service.

Thank you
Danny

The Viking
10-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Well,
Normally you would expect there to be a mixture of minor and major services.

A minor service visit would be to clean the filters/casings/coils and to put your hand up to see if the system seems to work, not forgetting to check the condensate drain and/or pump.

A major service visit would be the above +electrical connections +running data +sensor checks +greasing/lubricating where necessary +replacement of pump rubbers if applicable +evaluation of installation security +judgement of ageing process + anything else you can think of but I forgotten.

As a minimum I would say 2 minor and 1 major per year but that really depends on the usage, some of our customers has 24 minor and 2 major visits (printing industry with loads of paper dust, some inner city places with low level condensors and one dress maker's place)

Not forgetting the most important task, speaking to the customer!
They are the people that knows if the system is meeting their requirements or if something has to be improved.
Those "wasted" 5 minutes having a cuppa with the customer is generally the most important step on the way to get next year's contract and yet it is so often overlooked, especially by younger engineers.

marc5180
10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Check temperatures on cooling and heating, Air on air off both indoor and outoor on both cooling and heating to check the delta T
Clean condensor/evaporator coils with a brush and or coil cleaner/nitrogen
Check electrical connections on both indoor and outdoor units
Check lift pump inside th unit and also if applicable external pump ( little giant/peristaltic)
Clean both indoor and out door units throughly.
Manually inspect fan motors/ impellors and clean lubricate any moving parts
Test Hp/ Lp switches
Clean the filters
Check superheat and subcooling

As Viking says this would be on a major service though on a minor service it tens to be a filter clean and quick spray of the coils.

Theres bound to be a few more things that i do but cant remember now.

Marc

Danny11
10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Cheers guys

yeah the same really,Marc i read the other day your looking into starting on your own,
I did six months ago pal,Its hard but...... if you like challenges then go for it.
You really need to sell yourself before you start.Website,flyers etc.

Maybe even phoning companys and ask to sub for them.

Take care guys

Danny

norfolkboy
28-09-2007, 04:34 PM
hi just a thought, ask a customer what they have been geting for their money. I took over some shops a few years ago and in several shops i was told the last "engineer" borrowed their dust pan brush took the filter outside and cleaned it, that was a maintenance! Now they get value for money, much better but only a tenner more per store.