PDA

View Full Version : panel corrosion

Temprite
10-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Hello all.

I was wondering if any members have had experience in treatment of outdoor units of airconditioners in corrosive environments.

Due to my close proximity to the ocean we sometimes have problems with rust and I am trying to find a way to combat this

BTW Most reputable manufacturers treat the condensers this is more about the panels and body.

Thanks in advance.

ozairman
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Most manufacturers coil coatings don't hold up that well right on the coast either. We used use some stuff called "Heresite" on coils, changing screws out for stainless ones can also help but for panels look to some of the automotive rust protective coatings. As for coils and fins once you put aluminium fins with copper pipes and saltwater together you have made a nice primitive little battery with the galvanic action so it really is a bit of a losing battle :-(

Temprite
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I wonder if these are any good.:)

www.corrosiongrenade.com

Floridamike13
17-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Coatings are effective. Ask the OEM you are using to make a suggestion or what they recommend. Coatings are designed to make the battery reference go away, since you seal the coils construction form the external environment.

Floridamike13
17-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Coatings are effective. Ask the OEM you are using to make a suggestion or what they recommend. Coatings are designed to make the battery reference go away, since you seal the coils construction form the external environment.

Bronz-Glow has product called SPC, which is applied as a clear coating or they offer it in colors. It provides excellent corrosion protection for all cabinet components, filter driers, copper tubing and more.

Tankerbox
18-01-2011, 07:23 AM
I would sugest uesing a good epoxy paint from NAPA or local paint store.

SeanB
18-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Rust is the least of the problems, the coils corroding to powder is a more serious issue. Some coils are coated well, and some are just lousy. You can get coil protective coatings, but generally they are expensive, and provide little extra life. I generally just use a can of aluminium silver spray to coat the coils, inside and out, and this at least slows down the rot. The idea is to provide a thin even coating on the coil to keep moisture away from the metal parts, not a thick coat that will insulate them from the passing air that is needed to cool the coil. Best is to spray the coil when new, and reapply every year after washing the coil and allowing it to dry thoroughly, preferably running overnight to make sure, then spray a light coat to cover any holes and thin spots that have appeared over the year. Spray the case inside as well, as most of the time the real rust comes from the inside out. You can apply a few coats here, especially to any metal that is electrogalvanised, and especially to any edges. Spray the outside to a even colour, a silver coat reflects heat, keeping the unit cooler ( a lot are painted with a brush and red oxide, you can cook on them in summer), and make sure that you spray the screws after you reassemble the unit. It does help, the outdoor units might make 6 years before the coils turn into powder and pipe. Also make sure there is no water accumulating inside the unit, or that it sits at the bottom of the coil and rots from the bottom up. If there are drain plugs, remove them and put in a drain, the idea of using the condenser fan to evaporate the water is great for the manufacturer, who sells a lot more units to you.