PDA

View Full Version : broken valves, but why?

monkey spanners
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Got called to a fabdec dx milktank and icebuilder on friday an this is what i found. system has been in for twelve years. the compressor next to it doesn't pump too good either, would not pull a vacuum. prestcold/copeland pl20x 0027. on R22.
See next post also

Cheers Jon

taz24
09-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Got called to a fabdec dx milktank and icebuilder on friday an this is what i found. system has been in for twelve years. the compressor next to it doesn't pump too good either, would not pull a vacuum. prestcold/copeland pl20x 0027. on R22.
See next post also

Cheers Jon

Looking at the photos I think they have done well.
If you look at the reeds you will see that they have simply worn away from use.
The seat has slowly worn a groove that has finaly given up.

They look clean but the one on the right seems to have failed towards the end.
Just old age.
I bet a new valve plate fitted will have it back like new.

Cheers taz.

Thats proper fridge work that is.
You can't repair a hermetic like that.:)

monkey spanners
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
This is the pipe work where the icebuild 't's into the suction line. the system with the duff compressor only had 1.5kg R22 in it, 5 or 6Kg would be more likely. i think the oil has been running into the icebuilder suction when the system is running the tank and on starting the icebuilder has been slugging the compressor. With the low charge i suspect more oil could have run down the icebuilder suction (which slopes th wrong way. the pipework goes out the back wall which the picture doesn't show too well. Its 1 1/8"
Your opinions please:D

Cheers Jon

monkey spanners
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Cheers Taz, it doesn't show in the picture but the suction valves have been bent into a dome shape over the port. I think its been pumping liquid, and most likely oil, unless the customer hs been running the tank empty, will ask on monday when the new compressor goes on. Its struggling to cope on one so its a quickest rather than cheapest fix this time. just don't want the new one going the same way:eek:

Cheers Jon

taz24
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
and most likely oil, unless the customer hs been running the tank empty, will ask on monday when the new compressor goes on.

Cheers Jon

From your other post with, with the pipe run and the oil I would tend to agree with you and if the valve is domed then that would confirm it evan more.
I would look then to why it only had a part charge in it. Was it leaking or has it been charged with more and more oil due to it collecting in the evap, untill finaly all the oil returned back to the comp.

As for the farmer running the tank dry, does it have an ice bank stat fitted and if yes does it work?

taz

monkey spanners
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Its a direct expansion tank (Dx) no water, just a curved stainless plate forming the botttom of the tank, the milk is in direct contact with this, no milk no load. Needs 5/10% filing before turning on. The rotalock valve on the reciever looks like the leak point will be able to check when pressure tested tomorrow.

Jon

taz24
10-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Its a direct expansion tank (Dx) no water, just a curved stainless plate forming the botttom of the tank,
Jon

Ah ok then.:)
Cheers taz.

themba
10-09-2007, 08:42 AM
from your other post i think the compressor was pumping liquid refrigerant that is why it broke the valves