PDA

View Full Version : How distinguish RC than receiver failure

cool#9
09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone.
Sorry a little bit late on the forum this summer.
I'm back and i'd like to share the following short subjet.
Here's a simple method to check IR remote control on split system.
You need a cellular telephone with camera.
Put the camera on an watch the RC emitting diode with your telephone by pressing the on/off button of your RC (!). If you see a light spot then check out the IR receiver.
Very simple and so faster, we need to go ahead in this job.
Yours sincerely
Cool#9

momo
09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Silly me always looking for a video camera to do the same job :o
GOOD ONE !
Note: Though the remote control can still be sending goble-de-goock [corrupted signals] if the batteries are low, or the chips have gone wrong.

Latte
09-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi All,

I just carry a universal remote on my van. Does all the major manufacturers, if this doesnt work then order a reciever

Regards

Fatboy

ozairman
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Thats a handy one, if you are old skool and don't have a phone camera an AM radio (who has these anymore!!) that is tuned off station will respond with a white noise sound if a transmitting remote is placed close to the ferrite antenna in the back of it. Also check that the remote is not set for a custom code channel.
On most machines the IR Receiver is fed from the same 5VDC supply as the logic of the controller pcb and also the indicator LED panel. If you have action on the LED's then its more than likely that the receiver is OK. Two cases I have seen where it wasn't
1. A ceiling cassette unit where a leaking drain pipe had allowed water to drip down and physically corrode the pins of the IR receiver module
2. Another unit where some genius had hooked 240VAC interconnecting to the low voltage remote control terminals and fried the main pcb and also the IR receiver PCB, but this was not apparent until a replacement controller PCB had been fitted.