PDA

View Full Version : On it's side?

froggysan
06-09-2007, 10:57 PM
From what I can tell I'm not exactly your typical character around here. I'm actually a graphic designer who dabbles in industrial, fashion, automotive, and a varity of other design mediums on my free or fun time. (Which is in limited supply)

I'm looking to modify/hack/splice/*******ize an LG residential fridge/freezer so that it can be on it's side rather than upright.

It's a fridge freezer combination and I want to rotate it on it's side so that the fridge doors open like a draw bridge sort of thing. From what I've been told the compressor goes all wonky if it's on it's side.

I'm not exactly sure what's involved. Some of you might have to hold my hand for this one. But is there somewhere I can start?

chillin out
06-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Simple really, if you are VERY careful then turn the fridge freezer on its side and then rotate the compressor back to it's normal position without snapping, kinking or puncturing the pipework.

It's not a frost free is it?
Cause it wont work if it is.

Chillin:):)

Brian_UK
06-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, you could get the compressor repositioned so that 'it' remains in the upright mode.

You may need to look into the construction/layout of the condenser coil - the black serpentine at the back - the hot gas inlet needs to be at the top with the condensed liquid running out at the bottom of the coil.

You could have a major problem however with the food falling off the vertical shelving inside ;):)

paul_h
07-09-2007, 12:38 AM
You've both seem to have forgotten the drain won't work. Also some defrost heaters are just below the coil, not over it, and they rely to heat rising to defrost the coil, so you won't get a proper defrost on some models of fridges.
Which won't matter because there's no where for the water to drain out of. :)

chillin out
07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Thats why I said it wont work if its a frost free.

Chillin:):)

afak
08-09-2007, 09:20 PM
some ideas worth muchhttp://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/0002005C.gif (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10)