PDA

View Full Version : flaring kit

paul_h
06-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm having a hell of time with some 1/4 flares at the moment, damn things keep splitting.
It could be me, I'm starting to get stressed out a lot and not caring, it could be cheap nasty copper, I don't know.
Anyway, I've used and old imperial eastman old school flaring kit for 15 years.
Would getting one of those new fangled off center flaring ratchet flaring kits help? If so whats a good one?

This isn't me making them too large BTW, they split and tear way before a normal size flare is made. I'm thinking somehow my flare is off centre or the copper is just crap these days.
Maybe I'm over agressive at deburring, but it's a pet hate and 90% why flares leak, so I deburr well. Even the ones I've done minimally still split if I try to make them normal size.
I had a **** of a job lats week, 6 tries and it kept splitting, ended up just doing a 3/4 size flare without splits and hoping for the best :o

expat
06-09-2007, 04:04 PM
A mate of mine in Marseille told me he had this problem. He did indeed get himself an excentric flaring kit and hasn't complained about the problem since. Having said that he did say at the time that he was pretty convinced it was poor quality copper - in France distributors are all selling 0.8mm wall.

When it has happened to me I thought I was being over zelous with the deburring tool as well. Very frustrating though as this is real basics but also really important, as you said.

Anyhow, if you warmed it up a bit it would probably work even if the copper is sub standard.

NH3LVR
06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Not my specialty, but I usually make sure the ends are smooth, (Face and Inside/Outside) after cutting.
A small split will open up when you try to flare.
Have you considered annealing the Copper first? Heat it with a torch, (I think this is what Expat meant by warming)

expat
06-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually I didn't quite mean that as I'm pretty sure he is working with anealed copper already.

But for the sake of clarity, Paul, could you just clear that up for us.

What I meant was just a little heat would do. You Know, when you can't get a piece of that clear plastic tube on the end of a nozzle, a bit of hot water makes it easy.

I doubt if that's the problem though as Paul is currently in early spring in Australia, so it's not that cold anyway.

monkey spanners
06-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I've had this with some cheap copper. don't think it is as anealed as it could be. Heat it up red hot and let cool and try again. Maybe it gets work hardened in transport.

taz24
06-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I've had this with some cheap copper. don't think it is as anealed as it could be. Heat it up red hot and let cool and try again. Maybe it gets work hardened in transport.

I have noticed it as well but thought no more of it.
Where I am I see 50+ 1/4 flares made a day and the failure rate due to spliting is higher than it used to be.

taz.

paul_h
07-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Actually I didn't quite mean that as I'm pretty sure he is working with anealed copper already.

But for the sake of clarity, Paul, could you just clear that up for us.

What I meant was just a little heat would do. You Know, when you can't get a piece of that clear plastic tube on the end of a nozzle, a bit of hot water makes it easy.

I doubt if that's the problem though as Paul is currently in early spring in Australia, so it's not that cold anyway.
It's soft drawn annealed copper, and I deburr to make the iside and outside smooth.
I've experimented with various amounts of deburring and it doesn't seem to help much.
Though I did notice that sometimes my flare cone hits one side of the copper first (ie doesn't exactly centre with 1/4" copper), hence my question about flaring kits.
I'm sure it's the quality of copper, because on one installation I gave up on a particular roll, tried another roll and didn't have this problem.
But I can't always do that, so I'm wondering if any else has had this problem and knows of a flaring kit or type that is easier on the tubing.

Tony
07-09-2007, 08:40 AM
ITE make a brilliant eccentric flaring tool.

Richard Hillsid
22-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I switched to ArmacellTubolit, after having probs with generiks, flares nice and and is clean inside.

cameron.e
23-09-2007, 10:16 AM
have u tried using oil on the flares

bernard
23-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi

I find when a job is not going to plan and stress sets in that I end up splitting the flare.I have put it down to appling to much pressure with my pipe cutters.The pipe bends inwards then the flare bends outwards causing the tare.I,d replace your cutting wheel and employ an apprentice to hit when things go wrong.Remember there is worst things in the,the spice girls come back tour is on its way.