PDA

View Full Version : Inverter oil circulation

wombat
06-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I would like to know if oil is circulated through all pipes in an Inverter A/C unit the same as single speed compressor unit. Inverters appear to have oil separators to collect all oil as oil will not return to the compressor when refrigerant flow is low.
How efficient are the oil separators?
If an inverter system developes a refrigerant leak, will oil be present?
Any answers to my questions would be appreciated. Thank you

paul_h
06-09-2007, 12:49 PM
None of the inverters I work on have oil separators. I work on most major brands from 2kW up to 25kw ducted units.
Oil is usually present where there's a leak, but just like a conventional system, not guaranteed.

ozairman
10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
The VRV VRF type systems with distributed piping systems tend to run oil separators but most standalone single splits with indoor directly connected to the outdoor or the multi type with 1 outdoor and separate circuits to the indoors don't run them.
As paul_h says oil doesn't always show so get yourself a good leak detector preferably the type with the pump in them that sample the air and pass it over a sensor, like a tekmate or similar.

philjd26
11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
vrf/ vrv have and oil recovery mode which takes place every so many running hours....so nust lose some oil to discharge line...

rgrds
phil