PDA

View Full Version : Don't Let Down Your Guard!

brian_chapin
04-09-2007, 08:41 PM
They are fairly rare, but they do happen...

WATERLOO --- An employee at a Waterloo meat processing plant who was injured in Friday's ammonia leak has died.

Elizabeth "Liza" Myers, 44, of La Porte City, passed away Sunday at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics burn unit in Iowa City where she was taken following the chemical release at Beef Products Inc., funeral home officials confirmed this morning.

Myers had suffered inhalation and contact burns.

A second woman was also taken to the Iowa City hospital for burns during the accident. Her condition isn't available.

Five or six other people at the BPI plant were treated for less serious injuries at Waterloo hospitals.

The leak happened at about 11 a.m. and may have been caused by work being done by an outside contractor, said Rich Jochum, spokesman for BPI.

About 75 people were in the plant at the time and were evacuated. Workers in the nearby Tyson Fresh Meats plant and another business in the area were also evacuated, fire officials said.

BPI employees stopped the leak, Jochum said.

Inspectors with the Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Iowa Department of Natural Resources were notified of the accident.

link: http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2007/09/04/news/breaking_news/doc46dd74d4bc52c912921484.txt

"The accident occurred as workers moved the chemical from one refrigeration system to another, said BPI spokesman Richard Jochum. He said the ammonia escaped through a valve that was accidentally left open."

link: http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070902/NEWS/709020336/-1/ENT06

Be Safe Out There!!!

US Iceman
04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a high pressure liquid line to me based on information so far. I just hate it when this happens.:mad:

These are the kind of stories that just scare the crap out of people. These events usually happen when everyone gets in a big hurry to get something done and inevitably something gets forgotten.

NH3-Coolman
07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Dear all

I am not sure whether I can find the correct words in English.

It always is dreadful if people die at an industrial accident.

My condolence the families!

But something similar cannot happen to an expert (if it then was experts).

But it happens, why?

Many companies put employees under time pressure and then the workers must work more quickly than one can thinking!

Now, a discussion about the security and dangerousness is loose-kicked again by NH3, kindled through the FCKW lobbyists.

:) „I Love NH3" :)

The people do not know how many dangerous chemicals are transported on streets (I to work in a very big chemistry park I know what I speak)

Protections your lives then protects also the life of the other.

In the sense of Responsible care “RC”

BR! and good work for all
NH3-Coolman

US Iceman
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Me Too!

I was talking to a group of ammonia engineers last night and learned another release occured farther out West. Two releases almost on the same day! That is not good.:(

ART KUHN
07-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Sad that's what it is

My condoleces to friends and family

Regards Art

momo
08-09-2007, 03:41 AM
The P-H chart of amonia knocks most other refrigerants for six (very good refrigerant)... but it is an EXCLUSIVELY profesional chemical. And while it is man made it is also found in nature and disperses and decays in the environment in low concentrations - so detection and containment are vital.
In my work I have not come across it yet, except absorbtion fridges and window cleaner.

Like any toxic, irritant, reactive... chemical care must be taken. I have suffered from the mis-use and incorrect mixing of cleaning chemicals and there is no pleasure and great danger in what is on any hotel, prison, hospital, invesitigation centre... and care MUST be taken: solvents, cleaners, grease removers, paints, batteries....
CARE CARE CARE and RISK EVALUATION, proceedures ,thought, concentration and common sense.

My condolencences to all involved.

taz24
08-09-2007, 01:32 PM
NH3-Coolman

I agree but does not love us back:D

taz.

Josip
08-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi, all

My condolence the families.

I agree but does not love us back:D

taz.

...in contrary...even a very small concentration of ammonia in the air we can smell (odor threshold is 5-17 ppm, much less what can cause severe problems to human body: 2400 ppm after 30 minutes) i.e. my friend "ammonia" is telling me "Josip, I'm here, please, be careful", but you cannot smell *****s and very easy you can die by suffocating...

I am working for many years with ammonia, but never underestimate its ability to kill me...even in that case we cannot accuse ammonia but me...

We must never forget to do any job thinking about safety in the first place...

Many companies put employees under time pressure and then the workers must work more quickly than one can thinking!

Now, a discussion about the security and dangerousness is loose-kicked again by NH3, kindled through the FCKW lobbyists.
The people do not know how many dangerous chemicals are transported on streets (I to work in a very big chemistry park I know what I speak)

This is true...again one great attack addressed to not use ammonia (to make profit), but not addressed to right address "to expert company" i.e. someone responsible.

These are the kind of stories that just scare the crap out of people. These events usually happen when everyone gets in a big hurry to get something done and inevitably something gets forgotten.

I'm sure there were some "experts" without knowledge how to handle that ammonia or they were in hurry...no excuse at all :mad:.

Recently some leak of ammonia happened near my home city in one slaughter and meat process factory...fortunately small one and without injured people...but "clever" managers decide to install some protection for sewage pipes from liquid ammonia (due to not clear safety rules and laws), said-done-at once -from Friday afternoon to Monday morning:eek:

It was useless to tell them ammonia is gas and in case of leak evaporates making clouds and all escaping ways/routes must be without obstacles for safe runaway from contaminated area-in this case engine room with about 10 tons of ammonia and only one exit:eek:

Please, take a look at some photos...do you feel close contact with my signature;)

Best regards, Josip :)

taz24
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi, all

My condolence the families.

my friend "ammonia" is telling me "Josip, I'm here, please, be careful", but you cannot smell *****s and very easy you can die by suffocating...

Fair point:)

taz

Lowrider
08-09-2007, 05:39 PM
...in contrary...even a very small concentration of ammonia in the Air we can smell (odor threshold is 5-17 ppm, much less what can cause severe problems to human body: 2400 ppm after 30 minutes) i.e. my friend "ammonia" is telling me "Josip, I'm here, please, be careful", but you cannot smell *****s and very easy you can die by suffocating...

That's why all refrigeration engineers should smoke all day long, you'll taste the refrigirant before it gets to a too high concentration! And you can go on working and not have to walk miles to get to a "busstop" for a smoke!

NH3-Coolman
08-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Dear Josip

I am in accordance with you!

To the Pictures (is not true or), people doesn't know what here must doing, become at small releases of NH3 (50ppm) panic and at the escape he breaks his legs,

Dear all

Emergency drill NH3 leakage, simulated emergency situation conducted in order to test readiness for emergency situations.

IKET Germany, The training is in Denmark or Sweden for 3 days

I can't insert an Link!:(

But I think it is only in German, sorry

BR! NH3-Coolman

Josip
08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi, NH3 Coolman :)

Dear Josip

I am in accordance with you!

To the Pictures (is not true or), people doesn't know what here must doing, become at small releases of NH3 (50ppm) panic and at the escape he breaks his legs,

Dear all

Emergency drill NH3 leakage, simulated emergency situation conducted in order to test readiness for emergency situations.

IKET Germany, The training is in Denmark or Sweden for 3 days

I can't insert an Link!:(

But I think it is only in German, sorry

BR! NH3-Coolman

Photos are true...I was there to check some problems with Gram screw compressor and I told them about danger in case of leak-people should run out fast, because I almost fell down on my back over that concrete wall taking those photos :), fortunately not...try to get picture in case of panic..

Best regards, Josip :)

NH3-Coolman
09-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Dear Josip
I am in accord with you!
To your pictures, people they have no expert knowledge at accident-caused release of ammonia (also at a smell > 50ppm) becomes panic and at his escape to break a leg.
To someone know, as it came to this accident.
---------------------
Dear All
Here few information for “Emergncy drill of NH3 release”
A the moment I can not insert a Internet link
The training goes 3-4 day with real NH3 in Sweden or Denmark.
“Survival Trainings Center Esbjerg” or “Falck Nutec” Denmark
“IKET Essen / Flensburg” Germany
“Ammonia partner ship” Sweden