PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured compressor question

racknovice
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I´m still looking for the leak I posted before, but some other problem has showed up. One of the Copeland semi-hermetic compressors started making some strange noises and had to be turned off. Copeland`s representative quoted a new compressor to be delivered in 8 weeks, but I cannot wait that much. My boss suggested a local rebuilding of the compressor, but as I ´m not too experienced in this subject yet, I hinted for a remanufactured option unit that can be delivered in a week. Then, my supervisor informed me that remanufactured compressors always come with oversized pistons and rings. so that in the event of a future overhauling of the unit, factory supplied spare pistons will not fit. Therefore, he suggested we must wait for the brand new compressor. Is that true?

ckone180
05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I´m still looking for the leak I posted before, but some other problem has showed up. One of the Copeland semi-hermetic compressors started making some strange noises and had to be turned off. Copeland`s representative quoted a new compressor to be delivered in 8 weeks, but I cannot wait that much. My boss suggested a local rebuilding of the compressor, but as I ´m not too experienced in this subject yet, I hinted for a remanufactured option unit that can be delivered in a week. Then, my supervisor informed me that remanufactured compressors always come with oversized pistons and rings. so that in the event of a future overhauling of the unit, factory supplied spare pistons will not fit. Therefore, he suggested we must wait for the brand new compressor. Is that true?
In some cases it is true. If the original issue required them to do such. It would get your cutomer up and running sooner though. Just a thought. Is this a rare compressor? Maybe you can get it from the U.S. or another country where it may be a stocked item. Good luck!

derso_Brasil
06-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi my name is Anderson and this is my first time that I participate of the forum.
You it could send me the model of the Copland Compressor since here in Brazil the parts of this compressor can be acquired easily.

Dan
06-09-2007, 03:58 AM
Copeland`s representative quoted a new Compressor to be delivered in 8 weeks, but I cannot wait that much. My boss suggested a local rebuilding of the Compressor, but as I ´m not too experienced in this subject yet, I hinted for a remanufactured option unit that can be delivered in a week.

Here is my understanding.. at least in the US. The only NEW compressors are the ones that the original equipment manufacturers provide. (OEM's). The "so-called" new compressors we get from our wholesalers are actually "remanufactured" compressors which are stringently rebuilt under the auspices of Copeland quality control. The "rebuilt" compressors are compressors that other private companies can provide, but they have the advantage of costing considerably less, but also the disadvantage of having no perview of quality control... thus Copeland will have no responsibility.

Ask your Copeland rep if my understanding is correct. If so, your best bet is to get the remanufactured compressor. But you also have to ask him what he means by a "new" compressor. It is NOT my understanding that pistons are oversized, etc.

Please let us know what the outcome is. This has always puzzled me, and it is possible different rules apply when you are in Panama.

750 Valve
09-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Here is my understanding.. at least in the US. The only NEW compressors are the ones that the original equipment manufacturers provide. (OEM's). The "so-called" new compressors we get from our wholesalers are actually "remanufactured" compressors which are stringently rebuilt under the auspices of Copeland quality control. The "rebuilt" compressors are compressors that other private companies can provide, but they have the advantage of costing considerably less, but also the disadvantage of having no perview of quality control... thus Copeland will have no responsibility.

Ask your Copeland rep if my understanding is correct. If so, your best bet is to get the remanufactured compressor. But you also have to ask him what he means by a "new" compressor. It is NOT my understanding that pistons are oversized, etc.

Please let us know what the outcome is. This has always puzzled me, and it is possible different rules apply when you are in Panama.

Wow, if thats correct - another reason to use Bitzers... :D