PDA

View Full Version : Domestic fridge problem

flash
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi all, I am a forum virgin :eek:
I have a domestic fridge which has stopped cooling when I pull it out I can hear the compressor buzz for a few seconds and then stop for a minute and buzz again? this goes on and on but the compressor never gets hot. is the compressor gone??? the compressor is a Aspera nbm1116y

is there a way to check if the comp is u/s

cheers

DVaider
04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi, Flash. Maybe connection of the phases in engine is wrong?

Electrocoolman
04-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Flash,
The Compressor is obviously receiving power.
This compressor has an external overload and uses a PTC start device and also a run capacitor.

You mention that the compressor is not hot (is it even warm?). The compressor is trying to start and is cutting out on the overload. This can be caused by several reasons.
The PTC start device might be faulty,
The run capacitor might be open,
The compressor windings might be faulty,
The compressor might be seized/stuck
It might be trying to start under load...this might be a blocked capillary.
Have you tried switching off and leaving overnight. You might find the compressor then starts and runs for a short time....this would indicate capillary trouble.

For reasons of liability, I am unable to suggest that you start removing covers to test things electrically. This is entirely your responsibility and choice.

A new set of compressor electrics Might get you up and running.

Depending upon the value and age of fridge you might want to consider calling in a professional.
The system uses R600 which is FLAMMABLE so any repairs have to be to original specification.
Otherwise it might be Flash BANG!:rolleyes:
ECM

taz24
04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
is there a way to check if the comp is u/s

cheers

Yes but you need electrical test equipment to do it.
As a rule if the comp is clicking in and out on a domestic, then the comp is failed.
There is a slight chance that there could be a problem with the relay that starts the comp but on the whole (about 90% - 95%) of the time it is the compressor.

taz.

paul_h
04-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes but you need electrical test equipment to do it.
As a rule if the comp is clicking in and out on a domestic, then the comp is failed.
There is a slight chance that there could be a problem with the relay that starts the comp but on the whole (about 90% - 95%) of the time it is the compressor.

taz.I agree. With commercial stuff the relay or cap has a chance to be faulty, but with domestic stuff, it's normally the compressor if the overload klixon keeps clicking out.