PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Equipment Directive

frank
03-12-2002, 10:58 PM
In view of the recent UK legislation, what steps are you or your bosses taking to comply with the PED?

Is there an equivelant directive in the US or any of the other countries covered by the forum members.

For information, the PED regulations state that any system operating at 0.5bar or more falls within the regulation and must be classified. A full project file must be produced and maintained by the designing/ installing company with all design details, classification and build quality etc being contained within the file. Failure to comply is a criminal offence!!

here's a link to some info on the subject http://www.conformance.co.uk/CE_MARKING/ce_pressure.html

Frank

Andy
04-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi, Frank:)
Another point is that PED is a european thing and as such any equipment brought into the EEC will be required to PED complient, otherwise it can not be installed.
Another aspect of PED is a notifyable body which the contractor must appoint to check that the installation complies with PED. This means that your design and your equipment suppliers material cetificates must be checked by the likes of Lloyds or Tuv.
Other important issues that crop up are things like copper pipe, most of the pipe out there will not have on it's material cert a pressure rating that will allow it's use with aircooled condensers, due to the higher associated test pressure required. So before ordering pipe it is a good idea to check it's material certs that will indicate the test and allowable pressure that it will run too.
The company I work for has no doubt went further than is necessary with PED with assesment proceedure to be followed before outsett of any contract to ensure that we will comply with PED. We are now at the stage that we can PED any system we install, by virtue of our notifyalbe body having assessed us and our proceedures.(and this by nature is an on going process)
Oh and did I mention that HSE is responsible for enforcing PED.
Regards. Andy.

frank
04-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Andy

I know what you are saying as I personally know the branch manager of your Derby branch (Star refrig)

As a company your employer has made significant progress in addressing the new regulations which is to be applauded.

How are the smaller companies coping?

Frank