PDA

View Full Version : Help Required

Samarjit Sen
01-09-2007, 03:00 AM
I have been a member of this forum over a year now, and found that while we have wonderful people in it, there are some people who need assistance and post a thread. When you seek details so as to be able to solve their problems, they do not respond and you feel stupid to have offered help. Similarly even after a lot of members are discussing a problem, the actual person who needs the assistance just dissapears.

These sort of behavious are very frustarating. Here you are ready with the solution, but the person for whom you have worked and spent your valuable time just ignores you and does not provide further clarifications. I hope thre was a way to ensure a constant participation of the member whom we are trying to assist.

amsahloul
01-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello Samarjit
many of us lerning from you expert engineers.we do our best, this is the life no one knows every thing.
good luck

monkey spanners
01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Samarjit Sen

You raise some very good points. I think many of us post replies because we like fixing things, whether they are in front of us or in front of someone else. Its also nice to pass on knowledge and experience gained over the years and to be helpful, So it can be frustrating when we don't find out what happened.
I read any thread that sounds interesting and relavent to the equipment i work on and have learnt much from other peoples problems and the replies to them, I'm sure it is the case with the help you have offered, even if the original poster appears to have lost interest, many others have benefitted.

Cheers Jon

Abe
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I have been a member of this forum over a year now, and found that while we have wonderful people in it, there are some people who need assistance and post a thread. When you seek details so as to be able to solve their problems, they do not respond and you feel stupid to have offered help. Similarly even after a lot of members are discussing a problem, the actual person who needs the assistance just dissapears.

These sort of behavious are very frustarating. Here you are ready with the solution, but the person for whom you have worked and spent your valuable time just ignores you and does not provide further clarifications. I hope thre was a way to ensure a constant participation of the member whom we are trying to assist.

Hello Samarjit

Yes its sad but a fact of life, as the world is now so fast moving that people sometimes forget the etiquettes and courtesies of showing appreciation.

There is a simple way however, if someone benefits from advice given by a member, give that person a click on his reputation at least.

There is no way to compel a member to continue participating. At RE we always encourage good etiquettes and maintain a forum that is clean and healthy.

It is the good postings from members like yourself Samarjit that keeps RE at the top f the tree. For that thank you.

Your contributions, and the contributions of all our members does not go unnoticed

Regards
Abe

Samarjit Sen
01-09-2007, 06:22 PM
At times I feel that the participation of the original thread setter keeps the thread alive and interesting. But then as you said that all other members like us learn from this. It is educating ourselves and that is why I say that this Forum has so much to offer than any other books on refrigeration.

Maybe due to my age I still believe in forgotten ettiquets. ( please correct my spelling ) I see members go out of their way to be helpful. But we forget to say two simple words ' Thank you '.

Peter_1
02-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Samarjit, I couldn't say it better and it has nothing to do with your age.
The world is becoming a world of indivuduals and a 'Thank you' doen't excist any longer.

expat
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Another word people in this day and age are reluctant to employ is "sorry".

On Friday, in Montpellier, a 24 year old man got out of his car to complain at someone for hitting it with a football as he drove by.
Where sorry would have been the right response and would probably have appeased the driver, what he received was a beating from which his brain will never recover.

I sympathise with what you say Samarjit Sen. You are right but you can rest assured that even if the origional poster does not appreciate your input enough to reply to you many other people do! I for one benefit enormously from reading your responses, and I thank you for that.

Samarjit Sen
03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Thank you to all of you. I love to share what I know. There is so much to learn in this field. I have learnt so much, and when in crisis, I refer to the Forum and get the suitable solution.

The best part is that there is so much of honesty and sincerety, that at times you feel you are amongst your own.

tadipatrir
04-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Dear Samarjit,

I am the one who benefited from your responses and advices and gained knowledge. I was late in responding in my posts while discussion was happening, but as far as I remember I replied and thanked the people concerned.

But in case I missed any such my apologies for that. I am sorry for such instances if any..

I always remember that you and Lana are people responded to my initial threads which encouraged and helped me greatly.

Regards......

Samarjit Sen
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
It appears that I am being misunderstood. I am not looking for thanks. If we can be of help to each other, we are morally bound to do so.

What I meant that if the original participant keeps his and others interest alive, by putting in posts in between and also letting the forum know as to what was the result, then it would be a great satisfaction to all.

What I have noticed that after the thread is put, we feel that maybe we can help him and have the neccassary informations available, but require some more datas and we ask for it, the person just does not respond and give the adequate information. It is then that one gets frusterated, as the answers is readily available but the taker has dissapeared.

It is not thank you that is required, it is the interest that is required. The gainer is not one, but all of us from this forum.

expat
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
My wife is a primary school teacher here in France and has often reffered to her pupils as the zapping generation .It's a modern French expression meaning they hop from one thing to the next looking for something to interest them (the expression is taken from the television remote control).

You might find that some of the one off posters here are doing the same. You Know..., quick question, quick answer, quick buck. Only they find it's not as easy as that and give up. Of course they don't come back...they're on to selling mobile telephones now!

Still, their posts often give rise to interesting debates between the more learned and exprienced members which are fun and instructive to read.

And remember teaching is often synonymous with learning, so you are benefitting by giving.

US Iceman
04-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Samarjit,

I think what you are describing falls into a category of members not being able to analyze refrigeration systems. This is anything but a simple task as I'm sure others will agree.

A lot of information is required to accurately deduce the nature of the problem stated. When someone asks a question these rarely turn out to be anything but simple. As a result, they are not prepared for all of the help they receive.

Unfortunately, I think they fail to return because they do not want to appear stupid. That should NEVER prevent anyone from asking a reasonable question.

Asking questions leads to the answers! Sometimes though it can be a long road to the destination...;)

BigJon3475
05-09-2007, 03:01 AM
It can be intimidating at times.

I think a lot of folks just want a yes or no answer and when they start seeing engineering answers it throws them off.

Just some of the correct terms to someone that doesn't use correct terms can be frightful. Thinking you had that part down pact then finding out you only had about 1% of it down tends to be discouraging.

However if you are truly interested in this field you would stick around for the answers.

Samarjit Sen
05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi Mike,

"Asking questions leads to the answers!"

You are 100% correct.