PDA

View Full Version : Window AC - "Squeak" Noise when compressor turns off

John721
30-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Hello all,

A friend of mine directed me to this forum for some advice. I just purchased a LG LWHD8000R Window air conditioner last week, and I noticed that occasionally the unit makes a "squeak" or almost whistling noise when the compressor turns off. It almost sounds like pressurized or compressed air being released. It only does this very briefly and only after the compressor turns off during normal use. I picked up a second unit of the same model, tested it, and noticed that it does the same thing. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? The unit is cooling very well - for now, at least. As the unit is quite new, I can still return it easily if necessary. Thanks.
John

taz24
30-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Hello all,
I noticed that occasionally the unit makes a "squeak" or almost whistling noise when the compressor turns off. It almost sounds like pressurized or compressed air being released. John

I don't think it is too muh to worry about.
It sounds like the refrigerant that is in the system equalizing pressures once the comp stop.

taz.

expat
30-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Lg squeak noise, hmm... it's probably the little mouse on his bicycle out of breath, you should...........(I appologise for that. It was just tooo tempting:)).

If it's like a hissing sound it will just be pressure equalizing between the high and low pressure sides of the system across the expansion device when the compressor shuts down. Nothing to worry about.

John721
30-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Sounds good guys. Thank you for the replies.