PDA

View Full Version : working in iraq

syd
28-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi guys,
I've recently been getting emails for HVAC work in Iraq or Afganistan. I belive it involves staying on a British army base carrying out ppm etc. Its pretty good money on offer (£53k tax free) and i was just wondering if anyone had done it or was thinking about doing it soon? I am thinking about it, but any more info would be great;).Cheers.

taz24
28-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi guys,
I've recently been getting emails for HVAC work in Iraq or Afganistan. I belive it involves staying on a British army base carrying out ppm etc. Its pretty good money on offer (£53k tax free) and i was just wondering if anyone had done it or was thinking about doing it soon? I am thinking about it, but any more info would be great;).Cheers.

I've never done it but I can't see that you would be in much danger as long as you are only on the base's.
The money sounds good and think of all those stories you will have to tell:)

Cheers taz.

coolkid
28-08-2007, 02:58 PM
They would not be offering that money for luxury accomodation or anything would they. If something seems too good to be true - it usually is!!!!!!!!!!!

syd
28-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeh i dont think it would be too dangerous on the base but it might get a bit boring. You couldnt really pop into city for a few beers!

Cheers guys

taz24
28-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeh i dont think it would be too dangerous on the base but it might get a bit boring. You couldnt really pop into city for a few beers!

Cheers guys

You could but it might cost you an arm and leg:D

taz.

WebRam
28-08-2007, 07:35 PM
my brothers working out there just now, if you want his email, PM me

knighty
28-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't about refrigeration engineer out there... but I'm a bit of a geek and know a few guys who have gone over to work with computers.... (one friend did it and word spread so they all wanted to do it!)

for them... the flew in and landed right in the base, then didn;t leave it for 6 months, then flew right home.... inside the base they were behind 7 different defence walls and a hell of a lot of militery guys etc...

you'd have to check up on where you'd be going etc... but my friends were in the really big bases, the ones with all the generals etc.. in them that never get attacked because they're so well protected (patrols out 24/7 etc..) .....the bases being attacked etc... on TV and just little outposts....

like I say... this is just want my friends told me... and it could be totaly different for you.... but for them it was easy money (and lots of it) for next to zero risk !

samiam
29-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I seen similar adds for Mechancial & Electrical techncians - a classic example of supply vs demand.

bernard
29-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi guys,

Hi Which company is advertising for these positions,I need a bit of excitment.

Regards Bernard

Abby Normal
29-08-2007, 07:19 PM
couldn't pay me enough for the priviledge of being beheaded online

syd
29-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Bernard, checkout Reed.co.uk
Syd.

coolhibby1875
29-08-2007, 10:13 PM
hi i can tell you that it is not safe at all even in the uk/usa base i.e the green zone that place is a target at all times from bombs and gun fire as for the 55k a year tax free thats peenuts you should be looking for £225/£300 per day as your work will be out with the green zone i have many friends out there in various types off jobs and not one off them gets less than £225 a day.working out there is not for the light harted and i would think long and hard before going out there for only 55k a year get a job in supermarkets hell off a lot safer than iraq hope this is off help

isitfixedyet
31-08-2007, 12:13 AM
I met two guys that worked out there, the first said, he could make jsut as much in the USA,
and said the living conditions were poor, dangerous bugs etc, scorpions, and the sand blowing all the time, and living with a bunch of guys in a tent, and the showers were the ****s!
He just looked like , it wasnt worth it!
the Second Guy, said
it was hard on the guys with girlfriends and or guys with families!
and that they could had made better money that there were other typres of govt contractors etc; and that they all paid different!
alll i know is the offers i had received wre 82k per yr, and the rest is above is taxable, so its not offered, and most have to stay to receive that kind of money,,,
I also heard they dont get the money for the first two months,and that most of the people dont get the money they work for until they leave??
I would not do that if that were the case, I would like to take and deposit mine into an account, and have the cash to make the bills weekly and or monthly, cause i have ends to meet! or obligations!

Karl Hofmann
31-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I'd go out there no problem but not for 53K..The pay must reflect the risk and the conditions.

Abby Normal
31-08-2007, 03:14 AM
imagine being over there on a soldier's salary

Dr._Fleck
01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't go out there for a gold pig.
Yes, it sounds quite exciting, until you get a cap in your ass. :-)

micha1
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I'v been thinking about these jobs myself, only problems I see are, The moneys not that good for the risk or dicomfort involved. And also I was wondering what a future possible employer might think about my having been so reckless.
Any thoughts?

Dr._Fleck
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think an employer would be bothered, as long as you can make him some money, that would be my 1st concern:)

Abe
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
I thought the vibes Im getting on the news is that the Brits are thinking of pulling out

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10460243&ref=watchafternoon

taz24
01-09-2007, 11:55 PM
also I was wondering what a future possible employer might think about my having been so reckless.
Any thoughts?

Some employers think football is a dangerous sport and when employing have been known to shy from people who play the sport:).

Cheers taz.

The MG Pony
10-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Foot ball? Christ they'd drop dead if they learned of rugby!

If you walk off the feild it wasn't a good game!

Jase
14-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Halliburton are recruiting skilled employees to work in Iraq and elsewhere.
Come to think of it, Halliburton are a multi-billion dollar U.S company! Everyone can surely derive to there own thoughts on that one;)
Check out their website halliburton.com and seek out all hvac jobs and descriptions.

Jase