PDA

View Full Version : First starting off

marc5180
27-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi guys, iv been thinking more and more recently about starting off on my own doing AC/refrigeration. My question is how do you manage to get the work in when your first starting out? Iv been thinking that i could get leaflets made up and deliver them or i could send letters to business around my area hoping for some work. Is this how most people start off or should i be looking at other ways. Also id imagine that i should price for jobs a little lower when im first starting out to get the work in/ im not looking for anyones trade secrets:eek: just a bit of advise hopefully
Marc

Abe
28-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi guys, iv been thinking more and more recently about starting off on my own doing AC/refrigeration. My question is how do you manage to get the work in when your first starting out? Iv been thinking that i could get leaflets made up and deliver them or i could send letters to business around my area hoping for some work. Is this how most people start off or should i be looking at other ways. Also id imagine that i should price for jobs a little lower when im first starting out to get the work in/ im not looking for anyones trade secrets:eek: just a bit of advise hopefully
Marc

Hi Marc,

I presume you are thinking of adding some ac work as an aside, rather than as a full time occupation.

I will try attempt your poser, how do you attract customers?

You mention leaflets and cheap prices.

I would say the best way is to print off a couple of hundred business cards. Then get a big map and post on your notice board.

Mark out areas, and then go for a walk. Pop in to every shop, restaurant, outlet where you think may be opportunities for you.

Say a quick hello, dont hang about or try sell yourself, just a quick hello, a smile, pass the card and leave.

Do this over a couple of months, whilst you maintain your regular income. See if the work comes in as a result of your endeavours.

Get in touch with your local Business Link and get some advice.

Cheers

taz24
28-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi guys, iv been thinking more and more recently about starting off on my own doing AC/refrigeration. My question is how do you manage to get the work in when your first starting out? Marc

I went on my own about 3 years ago.
I found that most of my work came from cold calling customers.
Print off some buissness cards and leaflets.
Go through areas systematicaly and explain that you are offering a new service and that you are just starting up.
Don't try to poach work.
Get intouch with some larger air con firms and offer your services for maint or install, you'd be suprised how much work comes in from other companies.

Cheers taz.

marc5180
11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks for the info guys, much apprecaited :)

plantie1
11-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi guys,like marc I hope to start my business soon so thank you all for the info.

Abe
12-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi guys,like marc I hope to start my business soon so thank you all for the info.

Plantie and marc

If you would like "specific" advice or ideas/ thoughts on issues, please feel free to post and I shall attempt to assist.

Good luck on your ventures. Remember, research is vital, carry out as much research as possible to ascertain the viability of your business , ie: expected earning potential against the overheads you will incur.

Will it provide you with a living? You have to weigh this against your existing earnings.

Anyway, do post any areas you would like info about

Regards
Abe

Danny11
12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I started my own business,Its hard but....if you like a challange then go for it.

You can still work full time and be self employed.
Maybe work full time and run your business on a weekend and see how it runs.

I think the going rate for tax at the momant is about 22%(20p off a £1) ask first,so its worth doing,just got to get the right custom.

need any help give us a shout

Danny

marc5180
08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys, im sure il be posting many questions when i do decide to start up on my own.