PDA

View Full Version : Dirty split AC causes Pneumonia?

fridge doctor
25-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to run this by you. A few of the people in my area (Cyprus) who are older ex-pats, are suggesting that Pneumonia is quite common here, and that a major contributor is dirty filters on the split AC unit. Personally I have never heard anything like it but I stand to be corrected if anyone knows different. Any thoughts doctor?

The MG Pony
25-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, if one thinks about it, wet coil with continuous dead skin, dust mights, bacteria of all sort with all kind of stuff to feed on, then the fan blowing this toxic ****tail back out again!

fridge doctor
25-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Hmmm, maybe I feel an advertising campaign coming on !!

The MG Pony
25-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Yup a clean your coil once or twice a month education campaign perhaps!

Brian_UK
25-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Hmmm, maybe I feel an advertising campaign coming on !!Well, you did start the thread ;)

Personally I haven't heard anything about AC causing Pneumonia but would remind you that Legionellious is a form of Pneumonia and is carried in aerosol form.

Anything is possible I suppose.

electro
26-08-2007, 01:33 AM
I usually run my split on fan only to try out the evap after I've finished using it for cooling, nothing worse than a damp coil when you come to use it next time, whew, smelly! :D

Makeit go Right
26-08-2007, 02:19 PM
A few of the people in my area (Cyprus) who are older ex-pats, are suggesting that Pneumonia is quite common here, and that a major contributor is dirty filters on the split AC unit.

I think these older types are getting mixed up with COOLING TOWERS, which have been connected to outbreaks of legionnaires disease. Cooling Towers are often part to water-type air-conditioning systems, hence the association. And Cooling Towers are heavily policed {in UK at least} by the Health & Safety @Work legislation - it's a whole restricted tightly controlled maintenance routein involved ith cooling towers, because of the L-desease potential.

There is no such connection or controls imposed on the refrigerant aircon, despite the dead skin in the wet coil ideas.

That very old people tend to get pnemonia is an unrelated statistic.

Brush them off with a big laugh.

As for maintenance, the filters should be cleaned regularly to keep the room air fresh and clean. That's what filters do.

The MG Pony
26-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Pnumonia is simply bacteria in the lung (Perhaps not simple but you get the drift) Any other toxin can help set a hold for the nasties, No matter what Air con coils are far to oft neglected to be properly cleaned let alone filters!

Some one in a weakend state, geting a lung full of crap from a dirty A/C coil is prime for geting a full blowen dose of any lung based infection due to the multitudes of events going against them, how ever this is not only the A/Cs fualt, It is the general air quality around them, in part it is the A/Cs job to help maintain a faverable environment which it can not do when dirty!

It just boils down to keep it clean and no problem! And for the older gents and lasses a good Ionic air filter and perhaps one of them units that generate Ozon! I got a plasma ball with a fualty ground on the glass dome so it pumps it out! I put it by the fan and the place smells great in no time and feels fresher!

frank
27-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I got a plasma ball with a fualty ground on the glass dome so it pumps it out! I put it by the fan and the place smells great in no time and feels fresher!
Picture please :)

The MG Pony
29-08-2007, 12:52 AM
All it is; Is one of the radio shack specials of the plasma balls, and it is infront of a fan on a dirty desk!

Does the job though and damn does the ozone get potent with out the fan circulating it, could fix it but it's handy in the washroom! Ozone does it like a trick! Sod air fresheners!!

taz24
29-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Does the job though and damn does the ozone get potent with out the fan circulating it, could fix it but it's handy in the washroom! Ozone does it like a trick! Sod air fresheners!!

"taz holds his hand up at the back of the class and tentatively asks"

Sooo (thinking aloud) if we had enough of these faulty balls and positioned them next to systems with gas leaks could we go back to using R12 please:o

taz

The MG Pony
29-08-2007, 09:05 AM
---lol--- prob is we need the ozone way up there and tons of it! A defective plasma ball does a cute job freshening up a tiny bathroom ;) But some reason don't think it would pan out as planned lol :D

Brian_UK
29-08-2007, 10:43 PM
So that's why we need plenty of global warming...

Mega lightening storms across the globe should help generate a bit, don't you think?

monkey spanners
29-08-2007, 11:01 PM
A defective plasma ball in a bathroom sounds like an explosion waiting to happen lol. "Pan out" BANG! there would be a thin stripe all around the room except for two gaps where your legs were:p

The MG Pony
30-08-2007, 09:40 AM
lol, implosion though they're under a partial vac, purely a ground issue it runs on 12V 500mA nothing to be feared at best of times.