PDA

View Full Version : DIY air con!

andyh
25-08-2007, 12:43 AM
What the hell is happening with companies selling ac to joe bloggs to install themselves!!!!?

The company i work for gave me a call to this company who had bought an air con system off the internet for around £700. Why they got involved in the 1st place, who knows?
It was an R410a ac of around 5kw.

To keep it short the system had no refrigerant and obviously a leak/s had to be sought and to check if no other faults were hidden.

I told my boss the situation and time i'd have to spend to make sure it was right.
My boss then phoned this company with his price of which he nearly fainted.

The guy then approaches me asking if i could do a quick fix for a little less!!

I decided not to answer and headed straight to my van then driving off to my next call. My boss agreed fully with my decision.

What baffles me is i can buy a gas fire but it is illegal for me to fit it unless im corgi registered but joe bloggs can buy a split system with a charge of R410a and install it themselves legally!!
Am i right or does someone know different?

Sorry for waffling on but it does annoy me.

momo
25-08-2007, 02:04 AM
As mentioned elsewhere and in some of the instructions <<you clear the pipes of air by fizzing refrigerant out.>> In the naive days of R22 and mineral oils, perhaps, but NOT NOW (Wilfull environmental damage...).

Who is responsible for such an instruction?: fizzing off R410 at 8 to 10 times the pressure of your garden hose :eek:.

I have seen some fast couple kits (no fizzing out) on the Italian market. But they are a cheap today, dear tomorrow option...

Surprising how many "cheapo" kits forget about a vacuum. Are they designed to last 2 years only or do have additives in their oil to absorb water and other delights ?!

Conclusion: Apply EEC regulations and lobby their application though they also are a pain to the legitimate fridgies.

The MG Pony
25-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I've seen some where they make all most what looks like a non condencibles trap and they over size the Fd, but I'd bet my money on them being designed not to last more then 2 cooling seasons IF that!