PDA

View Full Version : Daikin FTXS25 - Help please

whippet
23-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I have recently moved into a house which had a Daikin system fitted. A 4MX oudoor unit and three FTX25S indoor units. All has been fine until recently.

First some water leaked from our bedroom unit. I managed to fix that OK

But now occassionally bits of very cold fluff & dirt are flung out of the same unit whilst in operation. I have taken the front cover off and had a look inside.

The long cylindrical fan 'blade' behind the coils is FILTHY! It certainly needs cleaning. I don't think this thing has ever been cleaned at all.

Is this something I can do by removing the cylinder whilst the unit is in situ. I don't have the tools or knowledge to remove the refridgerant and take the unit off the wall. I can't see why it should not be possible but don't want to risk breaking the unit or releasing refridgerant.

I will get a maintenance contract on the system shortly but I'm a bit skint after all the moving costs. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for a maintenance contract for my system?

Appreciate any advice anyone can give

Cheers
Paul

Brian_UK
23-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with the costs involved but maybe with the fan.

Please don't try and remove the fan as on some models it can turn into a major exercise and sometimes with broken bits if you get it wrong.

What you may like to try however is a bit of self-cleaning.

You need to get some plastic sheeting so that you can fix it to the wall by the unit and have enough to protect the wall, the floor and a reasonable area around it.

Try and find some spray cleaner that will disolve greasy substances; maybe a kitchen cleaner of some sort. You don't want anything too aggressive though.

Using the cleaner spray up into the fan impellor and allow it time to do its work. You may need to repeat this several times.

Should have said earlier, get an empty spray bottle as well so that you can spray clean water into the fan to help wash off the debris.

It can be a very messy job so do please use lots of plastic sheeting and or decorators sheets.

Good luck with it and try not to breath any the spray that you use or use a face mask (knotted hankie?).

whippet
24-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Brian,

Thank you very much for your reply and advice! :)

I had another look at the left side of the assembly opposite to the major pipework.

I had half expected to be able to just undo some type of retaining bracket and slide the cylindrical fan unit off the motor shaft but this does not seem possible without major disassembly!

Presumably I can just spray the degreasing stuff and water quite liberally up into the cavity housing the fan whilst working fairly blind as the access slot is fairly narrow and I can only see the bottom part of the cavity.

Thanks once again. I believe this should resolve the issue and I am happy to spend as much time as is needed to give it a thorough clean!

I guess I should look at the other two indoor units too!

Best regards
Paul

monkey spanners
24-08-2007, 05:49 PM
There is a refrigeration wholesaler called HRP just down the road from you. I believe they will sell RTU (read to use, in a hand sprayer) evaporator cleaner, you want the one based on a cleaner called 'Condenside' or similar, this will kill mold etc which may well be what is falling out of your unit. Turn the power of to it first, spray the fan , let it soak a bit, try and loosen the dirt with a thin paint brush or similar, be carefull those fan blade are fragile. and as Brian said give it a rinse after. i'd also spray the coil also and let it soak a while.

Jon

Andy AC
24-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Hello Paul

As Brian said earlier, don't try and get the fan scroll out, it ain't easy unless you know which bits to unscrew and unclip on both ends of the unit.
To help with Brian's method you can unclip and remove the wire mesh thingys quite easily after removing the louvre blade (carefull bending, don't loose the black pi outh of the left hand side) - this will give you more room to get your sprayer in. You can also remove the control rods for the vanes, from memory they themselves are quite flexible when unclipped and will make your life easier.

Don't take the dissassembly any further and remember before you start switch off the power at the outdoor unit.

Your lucky you have got daikins, that series of unit is actually very easy to work on compared to other manufacurers.

Andy

frank
24-08-2007, 08:32 PM
And let it dry before you turn it back on. :D

whippet
24-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond!

A very friendly welcome to the forums :)

Jon - I will contact HRP and enquire about the ready made spray. I am happy to take off the outer plastic casing to the unit. I have removed the two louvres as well. The manually adjustable angling vents behind will take some patience to get out but worthwhile as it should mean unrestricted access to the fan.

Andy - After looking at the construction of the unit. I have realised there is no way I am going to attempt any more disassembly than I have already done!
Hopefully by removing the outer casing, the louvres and the vents I should be OK!:D

Frank - I certainly will! Quite apart from any damage that may occur due to running it while still wet, I imagine I would be treated to an April shower when the fan blades spin up!

Thanks again guys. I thought I would be in for an expensive callout which, quite honestly, I can do without at the moment!!

Regards
Paul

Brian_UK
24-08-2007, 10:41 PM
One other thing with restarting the unit.

It might be wise to hand some old fabric, if you have any left after the move:), from the front of the unit to catch anything that gets blown out.

whippet
24-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Good idea. Don't want to get in the Wifes 'book of Badness' for peppering the furniture with tiny black pellets!

I'm going to do this job over the weekend (if I can hold of a suitable spray - HRP or kitchen cupboard!)so will report back afterwards

Thanks everyone!

Paul

whippet
31-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Well.... Finally finished. I did all three indoor units eventually, following the excellent advice given to me!

Thanks again, everyone who responded!

I used a mild de-greaser from the kitchen cupboard which worked a treat. Treated the coils at the same time.

I will now look round for maintenance as I would imagine the outdoor unit will need attention too but that is at 1st floor height so won't be touching that!

One quick question if someone would be kind enough to answer :- The timer facility on the remotes is very basic. Just one on and off function possible without re-programming the RC. Is it possible to add a better control system to allow 7 day, multiple events to the units as a retro fit?

Thanks very much :D
Paul

frank
31-08-2007, 02:58 PM
One quick question if someone would be kind enough to answer :- The timer facility on the remotes is very basic. Just one on and off function possible without re-programming the RC. Is it possible to add a better control system to allow 7 day, multiple events to the units as a retro fit?

Paul
Yes it is but you will need a KRP413A1S adaptor pcb (£55 list) and a 7 day timeclock

Brian_UK
31-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi Paul, thanks for the update on your first 'coil clean'.

As Frank says, get a small interface board and away you go.

whippet
31-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for that!

I will look into it.

Very pleased with this Daikin system now it seems to be working fine. Shame it was not looked after properly before but I guess that is testament to the design and durability of the units that they worked at all, given the amount of crud hanging off the fan scroll!

Regards
Paul

Brian_UK
31-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Make room, stand aside....:):rolleyes:

Frank is going to take a small(ish) bow here :D:cool:

Daikin strikes again ;):D:)

brunstar
24-11-2007, 02:06 AM
yeah mate it is easy, you can do it two ways either do it carefully with a drop sheet, whilest it is running but be careful not to break the fan blades.
or you can remove the scroll when it is on the wall and then give it a hose and put it back into the unit.
The stripping is the best way.
let me know if you want an explination.

Hi,

I have recently moved into a house which had a Daikin system fitted. A 4MX oudoor unit and three FTX25S indoor units. All has been fine until recently.

First some water leaked from our bedroom unit. I managed to fix that OK

But now occassionally bits of very cold fluff & dirt are flung out of the same unit whilst in operation. I have taken the front cover off and had a look inside.

The long cylindrical fan 'blade' behind the coils is FILTHY! It certainly needs cleaning. I don't think this thing has ever been cleaned at all.

Is this something I can do by removing the cylinder whilst the unit is in situ. I don't have the tools or knowledge to remove the refridgerant and take the unit off the wall. I can't see why it should not be possible but don't want to risk breaking the unit or releasing refridgerant.

I will get a maintenance contract on the system shortly but I'm a bit skint after all the moving costs. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for a maintenance contract for my system?

Appreciate any advice anyone can give

Cheers
Paul

Brian_UK
24-11-2007, 02:12 AM
A tad late again here Brunstar :)

brunstar
24-11-2007, 03:24 PM
yes daikin have a new hard wired controller that can be fit to existing split systems, which will allow you to plug in to s21 on indoor pcb and then it has on off time for monday to friday and you can set it for a different time for the weekends.
Otherwise you can fit a krp board and run an external timer to it with on and off times as many as you like with a field supply timer.
depending on how much money you want to spend.
it is a krp413..

Hi,

Well.... Finally finished. I did all three indoor units eventually, following the excellent advice given to me!

Thanks again, everyone who responded!

I used a mild de-greaser from the kitchen cupboard which worked a treat. Treated the coils at the same time.

I will now look round for maintenance as I would imagine the outdoor unit will need attention too but that is at 1st floor height so won't be touching that!

Paul

frank
25-11-2007, 10:47 PM
it is a krp413..

See post number 11 brunstar :D

Obi Wan
26-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Hello all,

I see form the posts that many people here have good understanding of the adaptors on the Daikin inverter splits. Things have moved on so perhaps an update may help.

The KRP413 was an adaptor to allow time clock operation via a field supply time clock with a volt-free contact. It also allows for a fault and operation signal but you need to give it a 12v DC supply. Can be used on the non-inverter and inverter splits.

The KRP928A was an adaptor that allowed you to connect and control the inverter splits only to the centralised controllers. Note on iTouch controller / iManager, it did not display the room temp.

The new KRP928BA is an adaptor that combines the functions of both KRP413 and KRP928A. You can either connect a volt-free field supply time clock or the F1 F2 wiring from the centralised controllers to this adaptor. You can now also view the room temp on the iTouch & iManager. In addition you can also connect a wired remote controller, BRC944A2B to this adaptor. (not to the indoor unit)
Note: the cable for the remote controller has plug in connectors at both ends. The cable can be supplied in 3 and 8 metre lengths.

Regards

Obi Wan