PDA

View Full Version : plate Freezer construction

smpsmp45
23-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Does any one know the material used for making Plate freezer plates. i was told that it is Aluminum alloy Grade 50. Can this be elaborated further like characteristics etc.? ( Freezer on Ammonia)

DVaider
23-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Is it possible to use aluminium alloys in ammonia systems? I think only steel alloys applies for this purpose.

ckone180
24-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Does any one know the material used for making Plate freezer plates. i was told that it is Aluminum alloy Grade 50. Can this be elaborated further like characteristics etc.? ( Freezer on Ammonia)

I don't know about India, but in the US it used to be lead, then we outlawed it. Now it is aluminum.

TXiceman
24-08-2007, 03:41 AM
The aluminum needs to grade that does not have free copper in the boundary layers. A number of coil manufacturers in the US have offered and still offer aluminum for ammonia. You do have to use a di-electric flange to decouple the coil from the steel piping system

Ken

suny
25-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Hi Dear Ken

I have a 300 amp AC/DC Tig Welding Plant. I do lot of repair jobs of shrimps processing plants with leaking NH3 Aluminum Plate Freezer’s Freezer Plates. Most of them are manufactured in India. All of them are leaking from the joint. So we V groove and weld them. If there is a leak from one spot, we have to weld both sides of the plate the full length of 6 feet.

Due to this problem I suggested one customer whether he is willing to fabricate one plate with stainless steel as a trial. The refrigeration foreman told me that he has to get the approval from the management and let me know. But the cost will be very much higher than aluminum. I would request you to give experet advice on this.

Suny