PDA

View Full Version : LP gas-fired refrigeration

Dan
14-03-2001, 02:33 AM
One of our customers in the Caribbean has asked us to quote a gas-driven compressor that can be used for backup to the compressor units operating his warehouse. He is also curious whether it would be something he could run as his main refrigeration, if it proved less expensive than electricity.

The loads comprise about 200,000 btu/hr at -20 F, and 175,000 at 20 F. Would a small screw compressor be advisable here? Would it perform efficiently utilizing the economizer port for the medium temperature duty? How would one go about sizing such a beast, or is the idea a bit off?

Any suggestions?

Dan

Dan
14-03-2001, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was assuming both slide valve and speed variation capabilities. I cannot predict the loading and unloading of the systems. I was just wondering about how to make a single compressor efficient for both low and medium temperature applications, I guess. Thanks for the Peter O'Neil tip. Do you suppose I can trust an Irishman?:)

Darcy Sergius
02-04-2001, 11:03 PM
LP gas fired compressor system? Are you referring to a compressor that is driven by an LP gas converted engine?

If so, yes a screw compressor would work just dandy.

The economizer port is generally used for low temperature applications in keeping the compressor cool (especially R-22 applications) and for adding the benefit of sub-cooling the liquid.

Dan
03-04-2001, 01:48 AM
Yes. I understand that the economiser port may be only good for about 20% of the total load, which doesn't quite help with my 40-60 split between medium and low temperatures. I have a fellow working up something for me with FES compressor and a v-8 engine. Interesting application, however. If it goes anywhere, I will keep the group posted.