PDA

View Full Version : toshiba sm1400 at-e

ozzydave2006
19-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Hi All

Ive got a problem with a toshiba sm1400 at-e basically I had a dead short on the board and the breaker wouldnt even stay in when you disconnected the choke the breaker would stay in. I spoke to toshiba and they suggest changing just the choke which I did and still no joy. I have now changed the main inverter board and the system ran for about a month with no problems. Now the same thing dead short accross live and neutral on the main board. I have again spoke to Toshiba and now they are saying they have had problems with the indoor unit generating static and dumping it down the earth cable to the outdoor unit. Can somebody please help as Toshiba tech support tell me a different story each time I ring

cheers

dave:mad:

momo
21-08-2007, 04:45 PM
If name reputation is justified Toshiba designs good control boards (have not got my mits on any of them yet...)
Check for varistors on the boards: they can after many excesses eventually have a lower breakdown voltage and short across L & N or to Earth instead of protecting.

This might be caused by having repeated over voltages/spikes on the mains that are affecting the boards.

ozzydave2006
25-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Ive got a feeling you might be right about the spikes in voltage. The sight where I have the problem has about 60 toshiba units there and so far ive had about 6 boards go but this particular unit has just blown its second board and i realy wanted to find the cause and not just repair the fault Toshiba Tec support in Australia is really a joke you speak to the tech guy and no matter what problem you tell him you have he says check your wiring mate check your wiring mate I think he might be in India in a call centre. I once told him I had no water supply to a wall split to check his knowledge and he said Yes Youve Guesses it
CHECK YOUR WIRING MATE
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP:eek:

Suffolk Fridge
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
It may well be worth checking your indoor fan motor. I had a sm1100 outdoor unit blowing mcb with dead short between L - N outdoors. The indoor unit is fed from the outdoors so a dead short at the indoor will show up at the outdoor. Easily confirmed by disconecting interconnecting cable and seeing if you have dead short still.

Loops
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Ozzydave2006,

As suffolk fridges says try again with indoor units disconnected - does the breaker still trip?

If so problem is in outdoor unit.

If power trips as soon as it's applied it's a component that's always live.

My first thoughts would be to check the reactors and the rectifier, details for this are in the service manual.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Loops