PDA

View Full Version : Sabroe oil filters..grumble, grumble, grumble...

SteveDixey
19-11-2002, 06:29 PM
Those nice people at Sabroe UK have informed me that they can no longer supply oil filter cartridges for the SMC \ TSMC range of machines.

They now supply a conversion kit, (at too bloody much plus postage and packing), that now boasts what is in effect a nut and bolt catcher, (aka "a strainer"). When asked if said "filter" matched the spec of the original filter, they said they will get back to me (ominous, I thought), and I am still waiting.

As I wish to keep my mains and shells nice and shiny, I do not fancy fitting the nut and bolt catcher and wondered if anyone has found a source for the pleated paper filters.

I suspect "rationalisation" at work here, (aka "cutting costs"), plus they probably hope to sell more bearings into the bargain.

Had the same with the shaft seals. "Oh yes, we don't do them anymore. You need one of these plus a conversion kit at £800". Well, I sourced shaft seals to deal with that problem ok, so now I am looking to do the same with oil filters.

I have done a websearch using the markings on the cartridge but not ocome up with anything useful.

Any ideas?

TIA

Steve

Andy
19-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi, Steve:)
I am most alarmed about the oil filter. As you see I recently fitted a nice shiny new sabroe. This has a suction oil filter, hopefully this the type you are talking about. As you say it is nut catcher, but it is fitted with a paper element inside. It is a simplier design but looks effective to me.
Sabroe has changed their filter assembly over the years, they started off with a number of mesh cylinders, which were washable, Ive seen these that dirty that a steam hose is the only thing to clean them, certainly at this point a paper element would have colasped.
Progress for the sake of progress, or in this case to sell a new design of filter to fit the York range.
I know that a certain amount of CMO sabroes are built in Brazil, maybe SMC's also. That might be a starting point to source paper filters.
Regards. Andy.

Lazarus
24-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi Steve....

How are things !!!!!!!!!!

Dave Monk

SteveDixey
25-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Steve....

How are things !!!!!!!!!!

Dave Monk

I've PM'd you for the full story. I'd get sued if I printed it here ;)

Steve