PDA

View Full Version : deperate westerbeke 5kw need some AC

dalehollow
18-08-2007, 03:17 AM
guys just bought a used houseboat and it has a rebuilt 5 kw westerbeke gen about 40 amps at 110 volts, and IM assuming on the 220 side less than half that amps.

can you recommend a AC unit like a certral unit that would run on this low amperage, at this point my cooling area is small 2 areas one is a small bedroom 10 X 10 bedroom, a living area, maybe 12 X 12 room that I would cool seperately prior to going to bed then could shut off the vent for that area. the houseboat people all just laugh and say spend the 9 thousand and up grade the generator, hoping some of you can direct me. the second issue is where I live is about 40 milles from Wal mart so visiting a big out fit is a 2 hour drive thanks

star882
18-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Is the 4400w (VA?) rating continuous or peak? If it's continuous, it can probably handle a short term peak of anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times the continuous rating. If it's peak, the continuous rating would be much lower. Since you have an old unit, I think it would use a big, heavy 60Hz transformer instead of a small, light high frequency transformer. As such, there's no high side capacitor so it would not handle high peak loads as well, but the heavy transformer also takes longer to heat up.
And is it square wave or sine wave? Most compressors (except inverter drive compressors) will not run very well on square waves.

Maybe you could install a minisplit for each room and add a control circuit to prevent overloading.

Electrocoolman
18-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Star, I'm sure Dale is talking about a GENERATOR rather than an INVERTER.

Dale would however be better looking for an Aircon unit that uses an Inverter drive for the compressor as they have a very low start-up current and tend to run the compressor continuously, so his generator would not have to cope with high current start surges and constant cycling off/on.

A multisplit system would give you the cover you require in the different rooms.

ECM

The MG Pony
18-08-2007, 07:10 PM
that and since it's a boat a water cooled system would offer that much more efficiency

dalehollow
18-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I think your giving me the info I need to start with. In regards to the unit that has the start-up you are referring too can you give me a little more info regarding the kind of unit I need to ask for.

Also do you know what the size is of the unit you are thinking of.

Let me go over this once more my generator is a 5KW Westerbeke, approx 37 amps at 110 volts IM assuming max, but may tolerate a little more, and IM assuming I would cut this in 1/2, 220 volts possibly 18 amps, excuse my vague ness in giving you the specs on this generator as its all too new to me.... its what I have to work with and we are desperate to find some AC we can use with this w/out using window or roof units, and sence we dont have the persons or reps to instill a water cooled unit those are out too thanks again

Electrocoolman
18-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Dale, have a look at the Sanyo website

http://us.sanyo.com/industrial/HVAC/Flexi-Multi/Heat_Pumps/

this might give you an idea of what is available....note the current ratings but also it is 208/220v. Start up current tends to be 1 to 2 amps.

There must be other manufacturers in US of similar products....eg DAIKIN, TOSHIBA

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/multi.htm is another one

The MG Pony
18-08-2007, 10:53 PM
In the mean time just dump 20 feet of pipe over board and circulate the cold water through a couple fan coiles, dump the water over board, should cool the place off a bit in the very least, usualy gets chilly at that depth.