PDA

View Full Version : NH3 Pressures for Pork Processing Plant

MattR11
17-08-2007, 03:48 AM
What kind of suction pressure should I have in a pork producing plant. I have NH3 refrigerant. TXV BTR evap's. with a suc. accum.
Any help would be Great.

US Iceman
17-08-2007, 05:20 AM
HI Matt,

The suction pressure actually depends on your desired operating temperatures. Are you only cooling pork for short term storage or are you using a blast chill system to pre-cool the pigs after slaughter?

What you need depends on what you do.

If you can provide some additional information I'm sure we can find some answers for you.

Where are you located in the midwest? You don't have to name the company I'm just curious.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Thanks for joining the RE forums.

old gas bottle
17-08-2007, 02:19 PM
not sure what a pork plant looks like ? does it have red flowers ?not sure they grow over here !:D

sorry,just could not resist that one :D

Flimsical
19-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Well, i work at a chicken processing plant, and we run a gambit of pressures, depending on what part of the system your looking at. We run 32 pounds on the high side compressors, and we use them for ice making, chilled water making, and they're also used in our packing dept. cooling units. Our Storage freezer compressor runs a 5 pound suction, and keeps the freezer around -5 degrees F. Also, our blast freezer compressor runs around 2 inches of vacuum on the suction, with temps around -35 degrees F. A note on the high side compressors: The individual evaporators all have their own regulators which we use to vary suction pressures on the units. For example, our packing units run 38 pounds on the evaporator, while the plate chillers run 32, and the recirculated water chillers run 37 pounds. A pressure/temp chart is your best friend in this area.

TXiceman
21-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Need to know if you are working with a precooler, cooler, or freezer (blast or holding).

What kind of temperatures are you looking to achieve?

Is the plant single stage, two stage or how many temperature levels are you operating?

With BTR type evaps, is this a processing area?

Ken