PDA

View Full Version : NVQ2 or BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma

RatsPom
17-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Not sure how to start this thread so I'll just get straight to it. Hello by the way

I am an ex RN marine electrician and have been working for a UK manufacturer of close control air conditioning systems for computer rooms data centres etc I got taken on to look after the building services needs of a client on a new contract, 18 months into now. When I'm not doing this I'm usually teamed up with our AC Engineers doing maintenance on splits, VRV, VRF systems and lots of compressors changes both to those type of unit I've just mentioned and our own close control DX units and just recently a few weeks of install work - bit of pipe bending, brazing etc. I would like to get trained up on the ac side of life and can either go to the local college and do the NVQ2 (evenings only twice a week can't afford the a day with out pay) ac and refrigeration course or the BTEC level 3 advanced diploma from an online training provider - theory only provided. I think I know that you guys will say NVQ2 at college but I thought I would ask

my qualifications to date are city & guilds, NVQ 3 in electrical engineering maintenance from the RN, plus a few open university level 1 course in computers and IT

any advise gratefully received

Yours aye

Mac

ChiefTech
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Being new to the industry myself, I plan to do the walking bit 1st, save the running for later! I've just signsd up for an evening course NVQ 2. I have a deep mistrust of these on-line courses, prefer to do my learning face 2 face & ask plenty of questions!
Best of luck with it all......

ErickDavey
04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi there.

Im pretty new to this industry also. I left a very well paid job in IBM in IT design & spec to be a fridge engineer (could'nt handle the office life).

Anyway my experience was minimal and as I was already in full time employment day release or full time study wasnt an option. I decided on NVQ2 as this is what the industry appears to be focusing on. I attended a 2 evenings a week course for 2 years at City of Bath college. First year is fundamentals & thermodynamics (basics though). second year you obtain the all important 2078 safe handling certificate, as well as brazing certs, the main focal point over the 2 years is the vocational bit. They give you a portfolio target where you have to cover various pieces of work install of ac, cold room, cellar cooling service & maintenance, fault finding & annoying written pieces of work. Its time consuming but very easy.

Im doing 16th edition at the moment as nvq2 covers little electrical work (not a problem for you though I guess). I will benefit from doing inspect and test afterwards as I cannot believe how much of the work I do is electrical based. I would suggest doing NVQ3 as well, sounds like you will benefit from the advanced course if dealing with vrf vrvs.

Dunno if my experience has helped but hope it offered some idea. I would say as an electrician, you should mind most if not all aspects of nvq2 and 3 easy.

Regards and good luck. Eric

RatsPom
10-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Many thanks for the replies and seems like NVQ2 at the local college is the way to go.

Cheers

Mac

The Viking
10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Mac,

Have you approached your current employer and asked them about sponsoring a day release course for you?

As this is a qualification that would benefit them, I can't see how they could say no.

Let's face it, if they decline to sponsor you then as soon as you gained your new qualification you would leave them....

After all, all our apprentices gets both the collage fee and pay during their training.

Good luck.

richmorris3256
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Im currently doing the ICS BTEC advanced diploma which is level 3 but total theory and im not really sure if it will help too much when getting a job. Also requires serious will power to stick with it and not to be tempted to skip over the boring bit. I would say college is the definate way to go it keeps you focused at least.

taz24
12-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Not sure how to start this thread so I'll just get straight to it. Hello by the way

I think I know that you guys will say NVQ2 at college but I thought I would ask

my qualifications to date are city & guilds, NVQ 3 in electrical engineering maintenance from the RN, plus a few open university level 1 course in computers and IT

any advise gratefully received

Yours aye

Mac

Hiya.

Most companies expect the NVQ 2 as the minimum.
As you are level 3 in electrics you could ask themif they would condense your 2 year to a 1 year.
They might if you prove to them you can hack it.

Cheers taz.

sapper
12-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I gained my BTEC through the Royal School of Military Engineering some years ago. Now the School is training new Ref engs to NVQ level 2..... same place same instructors...... and to be honest I tend to find that the new engineers have a lack of knowledge that is wofull. I believe that you would do well to take the BTEC option. True, it will take more self disipline but as an ex RN you may have a head start there. Also have you enqiured about credits towards new qualifications from existing qualifications.

RatsPom
17-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Many thanks for all the replies and lots of good advice. I know the NVQ2 at college is the natural way to go but I'm leaning more and more to the BTEC with ICS online. I really like this way of learning after doing 2 Open Uni short course in Computing and IT. Self discipline is the most important thing with these online courses and once mastered it becomes easier to sit down and bash out a few hours each night. Right then decision made .... BTEC it is.

Once again many thanks

Mac

RatsPom
17-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Mac,

Have you approached your current employer and asked them about sponsoring a day release course for you?

As this is a qualification that would benefit them, I can't see how they could say no.

Let's face it, if they decline to sponsor you then as soon as you gained your new qualification you would leave them....

After all, all our apprentices gets both the collage fee and pay during their training.

Good luck.

Emailed all the details to my supervisor who said he would pass it on to the boss....that was about 6 weeks ago and no reply yet even though I've asked about it since then, so it looks like its up to me!

taz24
17-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Self discipline is the most important thing with these online courses and once mastered it becomes easier to sit down and bash out a few hours each night. Right then decision made .... BTEC it is.

Once again many thanks

Mac

If you want to do it by distance learning then there is a course newly available that would suit you down to the ground.
Level two and level three Tech Cert leading onto the NVQ (tech cert is the knowledge side, proved by passing exams) ( NVQ is work based and can only be done if you work in the trade or can get experience in the trade.).
You have to do tech cert before you can do the NVQ.
They can run side by side but you can't gain an NVQ with out the tech cert.

PM me and I will give you the details of the college that runs it.

taz

RatsPom
18-09-2007, 08:03 PM
If you want to do it by distance learning then there is a course newly available that would suit you down to the ground.
Level two and level three Tech Cert leading onto the NVQ (tech cert is the knowledge side, proved by passing exams) ( NVQ is work based and can only be done if you work in the trade or can get experience in the trade.).
You have to do tech cert before you can do the NVQ.
They can run side by side but you can't gain an NVQ with out the tech cert.

PM me and I will give you the details of the college that runs it.

taz

That'll teach me to log on more.......signed up with ICS this afternoon during lunch break over the phone, but many thanks for the offer.

Mac

taz24
18-09-2007, 08:07 PM
That'll teach me to log on more.......signed up with ICS this afternoon during lunch break over the phone, but many thanks for the offer.

Mac

No probs mate.
All the best
taz.

RatsPom
26-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Started my BTEC and have passed the the 1st test paper getting 11 out of 12 questions correct for the health and safety so a very good start. I've also just completed the assignment (Test paper 2) and i'm just waiting for the tutor to email me so I can send it off to him, right so on to the heating part of the unit.

nswilkinson
26-10-2007, 09:10 PM
NVQ2 is the way forward, i've just started NVQ3 at the grimsby institute. not sure but i think grimsby institute are offering NVQ2 online for the first time this year.

Pooh
27-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Nicky
go back to sleep mate, an NVQ can not be done on line as it is a competence based qualification. As far as the qualifications above NVQ2 there is no point in taking them as government and industry want competency not bits of paper. The college I work for has stopped delivering the National Diploma in Fridge because the lads the complete it have had to return to do the NVQ 2 and 3 so what is the point.
Unfortunately the NVQ 2 and 3 are the only qualifications that mean anything when it comes down to practical fridge engineers and it looks like anybody who does not hold one will fall fool of the FGAS regulations, whatch this space on the 5th December when Europe speaks as to the minimum competency level required to be a fridgie.

Ian

RatsPom
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Started my BTEC and have passed the the 1st test paper getting 11 out of 12 questions correct for the health and safety so a very good start. I've also just completed the assignment (Test paper 2) and i'm just waiting for the tutor to email me so I can send it off to him, right so on to the heating part of the unit.

Just thought I would do a quick update. Got my result for the H&S part of the course and gained a Distinction as a final mark. I have also completed the multi choice for Heating and got 88%. If I have to go and do an NVQ 2 or 3 in fridge/ac after the BTEC Dip then so be it but enjoying the online distance learning at the moment.

chris96
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Has anyone got a link to where i can do the online nvq 3?

Cheer's Chris

SMC123
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi,
My first posting.
I'm hoping to move into Refrigeration Maintenance, currently an IT Hardware Field Service Engineer but finding it non challenging and I'm now finding my job more desk based, which I hate. Although having a high degree of field support/fault diagnosis skills I have absolutely no knowledge of Refrigeration. I'm looking at some form of training in this field. I need to keep my current job going as I don't want to be homeless:D. I've been considering doing the BTEC Advanced Diploma in Refrigeration via distance learning to get some form of Technical Knowledge, I'd be hoping to progress this to Refrigerant Handling Certs, Brazing Certs etc in the hope of getting a foot in the door. Can anyone advise if the BTEC distance learning course is any good, do industry recognise this as a valid qualification? I realise that no practical on-site work is included but I may be able to do some other courses that cover this later.
Many thanks in advance.

rac
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Grimsby College have set up an on line facility to do the Technical Certificate aspect of the NVQ level 2. You probably have to register with them as an NVQ candidate to take the Tech Cert but this might be of interest to some. It really isnt worth much as a qualification on its own, you need to complete your portfolio to be awarded the full NVQ Level 2.

sfweb
14-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Obviously i also say NVQ2