PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean condenser coils?

BlueVanACD2005
15-08-2007, 04:40 AM
I have a freezer (same one in my other thread), and it needs a good cleaning of the condenser coils. I attempted this once before, but they're really bad. It was right next to a deep fryer for a long time, so it's sort of like a dried-up oily dust substance. It's stuck to the coils good - and these coils are kinda thick (maybe 3"), so it's hard to clean much past the outside edge. I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this (or maybe a special tool or cleaning spray?) Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Spenser.

The Viking
15-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Normally I would say any coilcleaner, just read the manual and the manufacturer's recommendations.

But, in your case I probably would try a non acidic de-greaser, here in UK there is one called "grease gobbler" that works quite well.

Whichever way you do, rinse with plenty of water afterwards.

robin r33 gtr
16-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Last time i had this problem i used oven cleaner spray mouse as it gets in all small gaps . Then leave it for a few minutes and make sure you then wash down well as it has some kind of acid in it.

BlueVanACD2005
17-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I ended up using foaming engine degreaser and a wire brush (gently). It worked pretty good, and the freezer does cool better.

Thanks for the idea of the foaming cleaner!

marc5180
21-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Id agree with Viking, grease gobbler works great for those stubborn condensor coils but you must remember to rinse the stuff off or it can cling to the coil and hinder airflow across it. I say this from past experience:(

ckone180
22-08-2007, 02:57 AM
I ended up using foaming engine degreaser and a wire brush (gently). It worked pretty good, and the freezer does cool better.

Thanks for the idea of the foaming cleaner!

Try Ecolab products Grease Stripper Plus. Spray it on and in 10 minutes rinse it off good. Never use a wire brush for that.....JMO.

BlueVanACD2005
22-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Yeah... I was pretty hesitant to use a wire brush, but it was kinda a last resort because nothing else would take it off. Plus, the coil is a copper tube with aluminum between the fins and copper - in such a way that the wire brush doesn't actually touch the copper, only the aluminum. Here's a picture of after I cleaned them (I should have taken a 'before' picture as well, but didn't. Before I cleaned them, you couldn't see really any shiney parts on the coils).

ckone180
23-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Yeah... I was pretty hesitant to use a wire brush, but it was kinda a last resort because nothing else would take it off. Plus, the coil is a copper tube with aluminum between the fins and copper - in such a way that the wire brush doesn't actually touch the copper, only the aluminum. Here's a picture of after I cleaned them (I should have taken a 'before' picture as well, but didn't. Before I cleaned them, you couldn't see really any shiney parts on the coils).

Don't forget it is extremely thin and the first time you poke it too hard you will believe me. Try the product I listed, but don't get it on you.

brian_chapin
23-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I helped out a friend not too long ago and didn't have any tools with me.

You wouldn't believe how well a simple stiff 3" nylon brush and undiluted simple green worked on a grease, smoke & bug clogged condenser.

bernard
23-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi

I think the quickest way would be to de-cant the refrigerant cut and seal pipes,pressure wash condenser.Re-fit replace drier vac and charge.This is for extreme blockages.

Regards Bernard

ckone180
24-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Hi

I think the quickest way would be to de-cant the refrigerant cut and seal pipes,pressure wash condenser.Re-fit replace drier vac and charge.This is for extreme blockages.

Regards Bernard
The key phrase you used was "quickest way," is that because you like to do this?

bernard
24-08-2007, 07:43 AM
The key phrase you used was "quickest way," is that because you like to do this?

Its just that I,ve seen this problem quite a few times and its so hard and messy to remove the grease, its easier to order new condenser or pressure wash old one.11/2 - 2hrs.

Regards Bernard

Abe
24-08-2007, 10:35 PM
If I come across a clogged with oil condenser, I almost always quote for a new one to be fitted.

Members say, wash or rinse the coil. What if the motor is on top of the cabinet, where does all that water drain away to ?

The only condensers that get the water treatment are on the larger units which are located outdoors. All the electrics are protected first against water ingress and then a small water pump does the rest.

refer man
23-09-2007, 06:20 PM
the company I work for has experimanted with several ways includind air, chemicals, water. This summer they used hot high pressure water and I heard it worked well