PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Daikin

daddymac
14-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Gents! I've a leaking Daikin casette, condensate is pouring out! Obviously(?) the lift pump is the issue, but as I rarely work on these, can someone give me some advice on how to disassemble the unit and get the offending pump out? Looks like this has been repaired before... badly!

DM:confused:

DVaider
14-08-2007, 09:22 AM
If your casette has a fitted pump you should remove it all. If your stuff has been repaired before (as you think) than you can't repair it in Daikin service (it hasn't a guarantee already). You'd better know a "story" of your casette.

The Viking
14-08-2007, 01:13 PM
1. Remove the facia (the plastic bit undernieth the unit, gives the unit it's looks and hold the filter)
2. You will see a rubber bung, remove this(carefully, you want to reuse it) wilst holding a bucket below it. This will drain the water.
3. Remove the styrofoam drip tray.
4. Fix the problem, it might not be the pump, it might be the float or a blocked drain. In extreme circumstances you get the drip tray filling up with gunge, thus preventing the water from reaching the float and/or pump.

Good luck.

fridge doctor
14-08-2007, 08:26 PM
The Viking is correct. I worked on one of these today, exactly the same problem. strip off all layers of outer casing first. Having removed the central filter housing, take away the four corner pieces. Four screws in each corner are revealed and are used to raise/lower the faceplate. By unscrewing these to their limit you will be able to reach in through the removed plastic corner units you have disposed of, and unclip the faceplate from it's position... be prepared and aware of air sensor, and be prepared to remove plug from PCB in order to disengage cover completely.
Remove all internal metallic electric covers and also the fan housing etc. Follow your nose and several screws later you will be in a position to remove fan blade. Do this and you are likely to see evap in poor state. Feel for water lying in the tray, and assuming you have it, as Viking says remove rubber bung in one corner of the unit, and have bucket ready. To drain the tray effectively before removal unscrew three of the four screws holding the tray in place (these will be obvious). The three you unscrew are, the one adjacent to the drain (you can see the drain outlet having removed the corner pieces). And the ones each side, so that the water residue will have an exaggerated greater fall towards the rubber bung/pump area which you are about to remove. Having done this, disconnect the tray completely and take outside to wash as it will surely need it. Clean the evap coil by whatever method is at your disposal, and then turn your attention to the pump, which has been revealed by your action of removing the tray. The pump is held by three screws, and once free you can prise the pump housing apart to remove any gunge. You can check pump operation at this stage, even though electrics are 'hanging' and several things disconnected, a power on situation will confirm or deny whether the pump is any good. Take action as necessary. Refit all components and job done. Took me 5 hours today, but then I was working in a very, very busy supermarket on top of an unstable ladder in the most prolific holiday area of Paphos, Cyprus, in a temperature of 35'ish. You should fare better methinks. Good luck

frank
14-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Also, check the vertical height of the condensate discharge pipe - is it less than 500mm on the older cassettes (F series) or less than 750 on the newer models?

If it is more, then you will get condensate backfilling into the drain pan in the 'off' condition which could cause the flooding.

The Viking
14-08-2007, 08:40 PM
The Viking is correct.

You mean to say there were a doubt???
:D

fridge doctor
14-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Never a doubt Viking... you are the man. Good point about the vertical height though.

daddymac
15-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the advice! I got as far as removing the front panel... got to the styrene drain pan, which had a huge crack in it! Er... problem solved!! I'll check out the drain-up pump whilst I have it stripped down to install the new pan! I assume everything comes out except the fan and coil for this job?

Will let you know how I get on!

Cheers
DM:)

The Viking
15-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Ooops,
I forgot to mention that alternative.

But yes you are right, after the facia been removed, the tray comes out without too much hassle.

coolments
15-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi daddymac

I would also take along with you a presistaltic standard pump and a few drain fittings, should the lift pump on the unit be at fault these make a great temporary solution to get the unit operational untill a new one arrives.
Simply remove the Daikin lift pump and put the peristaltic pump on top of the cassette, feed the 1/4 suction tube into the drip tray through the access gained by the removal of the lift pump.
Then wire into the conections for the peristaltic pump onto terminals for the lift pump on the cassette (not forgeting to put the pumps black (run signal) wire and brown (live) wire together. Bit of the modifaction to get the discharge condensate into the gravity drain and you are away. Note that you can leave this pump in place as well to overcome the issue of the lift being to high if that is the case.

Good luck

Andy AC
15-08-2007, 06:13 PM
If its one of the older, rectangular type cassettes, take another pair of hands with you, you'll need it unless you've got very, very long arms:D It's a very straightforward job though.

Andy