PDA

View Full Version : swimming pool heat pump

Andy AC
13-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Went to look at a calorex heat pump today, not working since so called swimming pool expert had paid a visit last week and dosed the pool with neat chemicals. Home owner told us what he had done and took us round to the pool to show us the damage to the pool liner caused by the chemical. Also on the surface there was an oily scum. I went into the pool shed took the heat pump apart, pricked the suction schrader with a screwdriver and out squirted pool water:eek: The chemical ate through the heat exchanger and deposited refrigerant gas and oil throughout the pool. The homeowners kids came out a funny colour too:eek: but after a good shower, they seemed to be alright and so far, no ill effects .This incompetence of the pool man has wrecked the pool liner, heat pump,filter etc. etc. Home owner not too pleased with pool man, as you could imagine, its going to cost thousands to put right. I'm also a bit cheesed off as it was only a few months ago since we struggled like hell to replace the heat exchanger and get the thing working properly:mad:

Andy

Brian_UK
13-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Brings to mind the old adage.....

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Makes you wonder how many minutes training the pool man was given before he was sent on the road.

You can see the job advert now can't you----

Pool maintenance man wanted, no experience required, full training will be given.. and so on.

The MG Pony
13-08-2007, 11:42 PM
The second I read "Also on the surface there was an oily scum" I groaned, and instantly said to my self "Ruptured Hx"

I'd have a myocardial embolism at that point and the pool company would be sharing it!

Is the pool company at least going to make good on their damage?

slingblade
16-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I've done this one before, but, a few years ago i was called to a pair of chillers on a bulk tank that had an acidic 24 hour cleaner added and left for three months. same dance, very little left of evaporators and nice acid water right round inside of system.
now that did cost a few thousand to put right !!

Doug Lockhart
17-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Went to look at a calorex heat pump today, not working since so called swimming pool expert had paid a visit last week and dosed the pool with neat chemicals. Home owner told us what he had done and took us round to the pool to show us the damage to the pool liner caused by the chemical. Also on the surface there was an oily scum. I went into the pool shed took the heat pump apart, pricked the suction schrader with a screwdriver and out squirted pool water:eek: The chemical ate through the heat exchanger and deposited refrigerant gas and oil throughout the pool. The homeowners kids came out a funny colour too:eek: but after a good shower, they seemed to be alright and so far, no ill effects .This incompetence of the pool man has wrecked the pool liner, heat pump,filter etc. etc. Home owner not too pleased with pool man, as you could imagine, its going to cost thousands to put right. I'm also a bit cheesed off as it was only a few months ago since we struggled like hell to replace the heat exchanger and get the thing working properly:mad:

Andy

Andy,
You'll NEVER find a home owner that will admit to not keeping an close eye on both the PH and chemical levels in his/her pool. You can destroy even a cupronickel hxer in less than a week with a bad PH or out of balance pool.:eek:
I've seen 316L Shed. 80 fittings wrotted out in 6 months with 'supposedly' well monitored pool water. The ocean side water fittings were in relatively new shape :rolleyes:

BigJon3475
26-08-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.csgnetwork.com/poolchemcalc.html
Give them that website to help them with how to figure how much chemicals to add.

http://www.rhtubs.com/langlier.htm
this calculator will tell them if their pool water is corrosive or scale forming. You can find same type calculators in ºC if that is what you need just google it.

BigJon3475
26-08-2007, 01:00 AM
http://www.ccthd.org/articles/enviro_health/Envir%20Health--poolmanual.htm
This is a how to on pool operation.

Now you can charge them the money for getting a pool person out to check chemicals/add.

Andy AC
26-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Cheers for the info Bigjon

Andy

BigJon3475
26-08-2007, 04:02 PM
No problem I know it's in ºF and american units but it still may help.

here's a hint also your chemicals can be perfect at 70ºF but at 20ºF The pool can be extremely corrosive with the only change being the pool temp. Most homeowners don't know what they are getting into whenever they decide to buy a pool. And the Pool guy that showed up must have been a fly by night company. No one in their right mind would add enough chemicals to destroy a pool it's liner and heat pump.

If I had to take a guess he poured straight chlorine or put tabs in the skimmers. This is the best way to corrode your pump impeller and any other type of metal this super chlorinated liquid goes through. If you go into the pump room and everything has rust on it. walk away as fast as you can. Thats what happens when ammonia and to low of a level of chlorine are present in the pool. It cause chlorine gas (exactly like when you mix chlorox and ammonia!!!!!!!!!)

(WARNING DO NOT TRY MIXING THOSE TWO CHEMICAL TOGETHER!!!!!!!!! for anyone with a wild hair.)