PDA

View Full Version : ZAP...ouch Bloomin lecky

monkey spanners
10-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Was recovering some R404A (assumed it was R404A, could be anything no label on kit) empty reco bottle (vac'ed out) dumping liquid from the reciever 200psi/13.5bar. Touched bottle, ZAP just like an electric fence, toched gauges ZAP, :mad: every time i touched something metal that the refrigerant was passing through ZAP:confused:
This was on a coldroom roof, condensing unit was sat on foilbacked insulation panel and the coldroom roof had the black plastic cover still on. Must have been getting a static charge some how.

Any ideas:confused:

Cheers Jon

chillin out
11-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Funny that I have noticed this a few times.

When charging an 'Arctic Circle' pack, the gas flows through a steel braided hose which causes static and will spark against other pipes.

First time I seen it I thought there was a short somewhere....lol

Chillin:):)

monkey spanners
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Iv'e got shocks off of units on farms when the farmer has used the pipework as the earth for the electric fence system. You have to do all the work in short bursts between the pulses lol

bernard
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi

Yes this has happened to me recently while de-canting refrigerant from 8 nrc packs,I was getting zap all over plus seagulls dive bombing me:mad:

It has to be a bonding problem:mad:

Regards Bernard

monkey spanners
11-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Makes you think twice about working with flamable refrigerants, gauges, bottle and reco rig would want bonding.

Brian_UK
11-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I suppose a spare car jump start lead might be a handy piece of kit to carry around now.

bernard
12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi

On the up side its ideal for lighting your brazing torch.

Bernard

The MG Pony
12-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Makes you think twice about working with flamable refrigerants, gauges, bottle and reco rig would want bonding.

Don't see why, I would imagine the idea would to be not leak gas every where thus would be a moot point!