PDA

View Full Version : Subcooling on home AC

low temp
10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Hello, I am a novice at air conditiong & need some help. Last winter I had a contactor install a larger (4 TR) coil & put in a TXV on my air conditioning system when he changed my furnace out to a high efficiency unit. My condensing unit is a 3 TR York 10 SEER on R-22 that is about 5 years old. My question is what subcooling should I be seing out of it so I can check the charge. I can't find this information anywhere as it appears TXV's are only used on higher SEER systems. If you need data we can assume 85'F ambient, 70# suction and 75'F indoors with about 230# head.

The contractor I used did not know what he was doing and I dont believe his charged the system correctly as he put the sensing bulb for the TXV inside the coils cabinet & attached it with Nylon ties. I corrected this when it got hot and my suction SH dropped from 30'F to 15'F at the compressor and my suction pressure increased about 5 psi. The unit is cooling much better now as you can imagine.

Thanks

Entropie
10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
The subcooling is designed for the pressure drop in the refrigerant liquid line to avoid flash gas bubbles in the liquid line fed to the expansion valve. 10°F (5K) is a good value with compressor fully loaded and condenser and cooler fan on full speed. It is important that you measure the liquid refrigerant pressure and temperature at the same point.

Brian_UK
10-08-2007, 11:17 PM
If the TXV is working correctly then the charge is correct.