PDA

View Full Version : Hardwiring remotes

Bobby_Dazzler
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
I have been asked by an aquaintance to find out whether it is possible to hardwire remotes to split a/c systems. The tradesman I work under seem to think it is possible but I thought I would do some sniffing around in my time to get a little more information on

a. how simple is it?

b. any safety issues at all/ issues with normal operation of unit that might arise?

c. Is there a tried and true method or any rules of thumb to remember when doing so.

From what I can gather it would involve wiring a telco type wire or what have you to some point just before the infared signaller and linking this to some point before the reciever on the unit itself. This is my basic understanding however I am sure it is alot more complex.

Any help would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks all, in advance

Bobbsworthy

paul_h
08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
So you want to grab an existing small IR remote, put a cable to it and hang it off the wall from the indoor unit? ie. go backwards in time about two decades?
Are we talking wall split here, or cassette/ducted?
wall splits aren't likely to be easy, and I can't see the reason for it anyway, generic remote controls are like $4 of ebay.
Most cassettes and ducted units have the factory option of either, so it would just be a case of buying the right controller, rather than changing electronic components and wiring from a PCB with a soldering iron.

The Viking
08-08-2007, 06:12 PM
All depends on what units you are talking about.

BTW. Paul, there are places were hardwiring is better then IR. One example would be in a room with multiple units you don't want to control as one and the IR transmitts to all.

sid
08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
hi
depending on what unit it is, i know you can do it mitsubishi

paul_h
09-08-2007, 03:56 PM
All depends on what units you are talking about.

BTW. Paul, there are places were hardwiring is better then IR. One example would be in a room with multiple units you don't want to control as one and the IR transmitts to all.
OK, but a lot of the major manufacturers have up to four address point for this reason, so they can be all set on different channels. I can't see how you wouldn't want them on the same setting if they're in the same room though
Maybe one on and one off, sharing duty? In that case set a time clock on each system/remote or set them to different channels.

Cool Mike
09-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I have fitted universal controller units to all sorts of split units. It can be done with almost any unit, just depending on how far you want to go, and what the application is. On some units you will be able to get a standard hard wired control for the unit. In some cases you would need to "gut" the unit and install a universal type (Johnson, Eberle etc) You can have a look at my website, coldfact.fusiveweb.co.uk, it gives some info on fitting a similar infrared system, but its the same wiring required. Hope this helps.