PDA

View Full Version : starting out

adam
05-11-2002, 10:25 AM
hello all,
i've just started my apprenticeship and i'm really eager to learn. do any of you guys or girls know of any websites or books that start at the very basics and progress?cheers

Gary
05-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Yep :)

Abe
05-11-2002, 09:51 PM
That reminds me Gary, Im still waiting to buy your manuals, books,....ahem, refrigeration bible!!!! lol

Remind me how I go about getting my paws on them

Regards

Gary
06-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Build a fire under Marc. He has the SI/metric version completed and ready for the printer. Go over and pound on his door... LOL

reggie
06-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Adam try 'Modern Refrigeration & Air conditioning by Althouse/Turnquist/Bracciano. It was the first book i ever bought and well worth the money. This websites invaluable too. Any questions and just ask Prof Sporlan or Andy (Northern Ireland).
The only thing they cant tell you is this weekends lottery numbers.
Good luck.

Abe
06-11-2002, 11:09 PM
Hello Gary,

Ill be seeing Marc very soon...........with cheque book in hand
I know your books gotta be better then that Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
I bought my first copy 20 years ago, and had it until I borrowed it to some budding new aspirant refrigeration engineer, and that was the last I saw of it
I ordered another directly from the States a few years ago, you know what??? apart from some cosmetic changes it was still the same book!!!
Comon , the industry has moved in leaps and bounds since then, what a way to make a fast buck

Or is it that the basic technology has never changed??

But, Im looking foreward to seeing yours

Prof Sporlan
07-11-2002, 02:00 AM
Comon , the industry has moved in leaps and bounds since then, what a way to make a fast buck

Or is it that the basic technology has never changed??

The progress of the hvac/r industry reminds the Prof a bit of American football.

Game strategy and technique, training, and equipment have improved over the years, making today's player more capable than his predecessor.

But the player must be able block and tackle well to be a good player... :)

Prof Sporlan
07-11-2002, 02:08 AM
Mmmmm…. “Blocking and tackling skills for the hvac/r technician” might make an interesting book title for an introductory manual on hvac/r service. :)

Frosty
15-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Hi Adam

Don't know whether it's available in Oz, but try and get hold of a copy of 'principles of refrigeration' by R J Dossat - its the definitive bible of refrigeration books - good luck.

Frosty:D

Dan
16-11-2002, 01:38 AM
Mmmmm…. “Blocking and tackling skills for the hvac/r technician” might make an interesting book title for an introductory manual on hvac/r service.

It just dawned on me the similarity to what we call a block and tackle. A pulley and rope or chain that achieves leverage.

Although difficult for me to resolve the different pairings of the words, "Blocking and tackling" on both counts appear to me to be an excellent title for a troubleshooter's guide.

:)

neilhuxley
17-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Hi does anyone no of any cheap places to get book's amazon obviously isnt cheap lol