PDA

View Full Version : Tightening rotalock valves

monkey spanners
06-08-2007, 09:34 PM
For holding the valve still while tightening the nut i use an old monkey wrench;) Still available from Facom i believe. Be sure to have some nuts on the 1/4" connections to protect the threads.

Jon

US Iceman
06-08-2007, 09:40 PM
One thing I noticed in the pictures is the correct placement of the wrench being used to tighten the the main valve nut.

It's almost strange to see someone use theirs tools properly.:cool:

Paulajayne
07-08-2007, 09:21 AM
One thing I noticed in the pictures is the correct placement of the wrench being used to tighten the the main valve nut.

It's almost strange to see someone use theirs tools properly.:cool:

To be pedantic then NO -

Correct tool for the job should be the correct size open ended spanner.

I have had to change so many valves because the good old handy 8" adjustable has chewed up then up.

The supporting spanner was know as a "F" type adjustable.

Paula

paul_h
07-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Do you do the rotalocks up extra tight, or have you been using the monkey wrech as a hammer? the handle looks a little bent. :p

US Iceman
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
What I was talking about was the placement of the wrench jaws. The short jaw is placed in the direction of rotation to ensure a firm grip.

If the wrench was turned the other way with the short jaw on top, this is how the nuts get rounded off.

monkey spanners
07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
I inherited that old wrench from my grandfather, sadly i'd have to dig him up to find out how it got bent.
Iv'e tried to staighten it with no luck so bent it will have to stay:)

jon

expat
09-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Monkey Spanners, you may be able to use Facom's life time guarantee to get a replacement FOC. I know someone here in France that got away with it because the wrench in question was rusted up and seized.

fridge doctor
17-08-2007, 07:55 AM
The other tool in the picture, which I term a 'shifter' is known by different names. I learned just the other day that A Dutchman would call it 'An Englishman' and a German terms it 'A Frenchman' although to be fair these terms are very old and not likely to be used much today. My German friend couldn't throw any light on how a spanner came to be named in this way ?

cretan
01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
The other tool in the picture, which I term a 'shifter' is known by different names. I learned just the other day that A Dutchman would call it 'An Englishman' and a German terms it 'A Frenchman' although to be fair these terms are very old and not likely to be used much today. My German friend couldn't throw any light on how a spanner came to be named in this way ?Funny.my dad calls it "galiko"(in greek).which translated means french.I call it a cresent wrench.

BigJon3475
01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Crescent wrench is what I'm used to. or adjustable.

Peter_1
02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Indeed, Belgium techs call it an 'Englishman', I doubt if the Dutch peoples call it this way.

micha1
02-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Whilst working with some German techs some years ago they informed me that they called it an ''Englander spanner'' because we are lazy bad techs, and should use the right spanner.