PDA

View Full Version : Treating NH3 to minimize theft

brian_chapin
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
GloTell™ is a dark red liquid, density 1.15 at 20° C, fully soluble in anhydrous ammonia. It is detectable by fluorescence at 0.1 ppb. Non-carcinogenic and non-mutagenic, it has been used in various environmental applications since the early 1960s. It photo-degrades within a few days of soil application, and will not bioaccumulate. It is a long-chain complex carbon molecule; it is stable at room temperature and water-soluble.

When GloTell™ is placed in anhydrous ammonia, it tints the ammonia a light yellow color. GloTell™ is not carried in the vapor phase of ammonia, and will remain where liquid anhydrous ammonia touches. Traces of GloTell™ are visibly pink to a concentration of approximately 10 ppm, and are detectable by fluorescence at a much lower level.

Methamphetamine produced with GloTell-containing anhydrous ammonia is discolored, sticky, and hygroscopic. It is difficult to smoke. Handling GloTell-stained methamphetamine will result in staining of hands and utensils. Glassware and other containers used for the manufacture of methamphetamine will also be stained by the presence of GloTell™.

Has anyone here used Glotell in their NH3 refrigeration system? It appears they have tested it under ASHRAE 97 but I would sure love to know it worked in real life before I have to replace a couple tons of ammonia.

http://www.glotell.com/index2.htm

It's a damned shame that it doesn't dissolve in the vapor phase because it would make a wonderful leak detector if it did.

US Iceman
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing that link Brian. I have forwarded it to a local ammonia supplier and a friend for comments.

This certainly seems like a good idea.

Paulajayne
07-08-2007, 09:27 AM
It's a damned shame that it doesn't dissolve in the vapor phase because it would make a wonderful leak detector if it did.

Sulphur candles ??

Paula

brian_chapin
07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Sulphur candles ??

Paula

They work fine if you already know you have a leak and you aren't on the roof of a building in windy conditions.

90% of our pipe runs are on the roof and sulphur tapers are rendered useless by a moderate wind.

mickmc
07-08-2007, 11:56 PM
nose,soapy water?

mick

US Iceman
08-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Without going into a lot of detail the ammonia supplier I talked to is aware of this product. Unforunately, they do not feel comfortable enough with the potential unknown reactions with oil, elastomers, and pressure and temperature effects to recommend it for use.

That's about all I can offer.

expat
03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Lady and gentlemen. I fear I show my ignorance here, but as far as theft goes I don't see what you are talking about.

Is NH3 used for amphtemine production or something?

The Viking
03-09-2007, 09:02 PM
For once I agree with expat, who would steal ammonia??

expat
03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
What do'ye mean "for once".

Anyhow, don't scare 'em off, I think we're onto a nice little earner here:p

Lowrider
03-09-2007, 09:50 PM
NH3 is used in several production proces's for a number of mind expanding substances and can also be used to create a very good explosive!

expat
03-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Say all you like, but if you speak to my old teachers they'll tell you that nothing could expand my mind:o

Lowrider
03-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh, was he just looking at you?:confused:

US Iceman
03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
There have been a lot of instances where ammonia has been stolen by people cooking crystal meth. Rural facilities and famers seem to be the most hard hit with this.

All I can say is if anyone steals ammonia for this purpose they deserve to have a little liquid spill right on their pants!:D