PDA

View Full Version : Cheese room/defrost heaters?

monkey spanners
04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I have a customer with a new cheese coldroom. He wants to maintain a temperature of around 12-14c, now what i want to know is has anybody heard of using the defrost heaters and evaporator fans to stop the temperature going too low in the winter?

Cheers Jon

US Iceman
04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I have actually seen some cheese storage rooms with gas-fired heaters in them for this purpose. During the winter time, there is no load in the room and the outside air temperature is much lower.

This causes the room to "cool down" below the required temperature, so heating is needed to maintain a cold storage condition.

How's that for a new twist?

monkey spanners
04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Another guy we look after has an oil filled radiator to keep the temperature up but if he is not careful they end up fighting each other!

US Iceman
04-08-2007, 05:22 PM
The radiator is probably a better idea. I'm not too fond of thegas-fired heaters in the space. The vent stacks are an easy means of air infiltration when the outside air temperature increases.

Dampers in the vent stacks are not 100% vapor tight....

Eeram
04-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Heaters on the Evaporator Coil (as in defrost heaters), will ussually do the trick, with a good electronic controller. However, watch the humidity as the cheese can dry out too quickly.

Old Refrigeration Technicians never die! They just leak out!

Echo
23-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi, we are supplying refrigeration control system&single controller for freezers